Newbie - TS1500 User and Modifier

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
Funkenstein

Newbie - TS1500 User and Modifier

Post by Funkenstein »

Greeting and a prosperous New Year to all.

I'm a long time TS/ZX advocate, and very pleased to find this forum.

Currently, I'm diddling around with a TS1500. My inventory also includes Memotech 32K Memeory and the HRG module, a TS2040 printer, and any number of working and non working Rampacks and TS1000's. Additionally, I managed to collect quite a bit of information and data on the wide variety of add ons for these machines.

I've also designed and built a number of add ons myself. Right now, I've got an interest in robotic controllers and the like, so I've dusted off some of my ancient lab books, and diving back in. This group will doubtlessly help.

Once again, I'm honored to "meet" you all.

-Dr. Funkenstein-
wilf_zx

Re: Newbie - TS1500 User and Modifier

Post by wilf_zx »

Pleased to meet you Doctor. Can you tell us more about the add-ons you have designed?

Wilf
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Sounds like you need some MMC action! ;)

It has to be said that I'm actively pursuing some CF modification for my spectrums. http://members.tripod.com/~piters/zx.htm. I hope the MMCs forgive me :(
BrunoFlorindo

Post by BrunoFlorindo »

Welcome! I've scanned some ZX81 books related to interfacing, and some ZX Spectrum books related to robotics. These were uploaded to the ftp at www.worldofspectrum.org and I can find links if needed.

I'm also very interested in hearing about the add-ons that you made yourself.
Funkenstein

Post by Funkenstein »

Hello again. Please forgive my delay in responding; I had to attend to some family business (the birth of another grandchild, a boy Cole Patrick). I am pleasded to make all of your acquaintance. Wilf, I'm a long time admirer of yours.

Years ago, I was working as a Research and Development Tech for a large chemical company, and my primary job was the construction and operation of "micro plants", essentially tabletop models of what would later become enormous manufacturing facilities. Virtually all observations, readings, etc. were done by hand. I read an article on interfacing the Timex Sinclair to the outside world, and with some time learned to be able to use the TS1000 for control and monitoring purposes.

The first thing was a better power supply, since the 9V 1A just didn't seem adequate, especially with the add ons that were planned. Additionally, I added a RESET switch by drilling a small hole in the computer case and putting in a very small pushbutton switch.

To my surprise, it wasn't until some time later that I discovered that when using the 16K Rampack with the TS1000, the 2K of RAM inside was disconnected from the system and was unused. I found as simple circuit using a single IC, a diode and a small switch that allowed that 2K to be mapped into the 8K area.

With care, this circuit could also be placed inside the TS1000, so that memory from 8192 - 10240 was available for my sloppy M/C programming. This circuit was to become fundamental to all my memory add ons for the TS1000. On the TS1500, the Rampack does not disable any internl RAM, but it can be used anyway. The one circuit that I still have among my "antiques", uses this circuit with a 6264 SRAM mapped in the 8-16K area. It still works flawlessly after more than 20 years.

I designed and built some additional I/O interfaces for the TS1000/1500, some of which actually worked. These included:

A/D and D/A interfaces, especially for things like temperature and flows.
Relay controllers, using optocouplers in many cases
Real time clock interface (only half completed)
A simple EPROM programmer, using a Z80 PIO, some HC193's and a few other components (designed but never completed.)
and of course, memory expansion circuits.

The programmer was needed to be able to log various settings and readings from the micro plant, but as I'm sure you all know, the TS's just aren't built to really do that (at least not in the mid 80's). So eventually, the TS was scrapped as inadequate, and we moved up to an IBM PCjr (called "The Peanut"), and a customized I/O card. I continued just playing around with the TS's for awhile. One of the interfaces that interested me was a light scanner using aphtotransistor and a solar cigarette lighter (when such items were easily available), hooked to an A/D and controlled by a stepper motor, like a radar.

So I recently decided to get back into just messing around with my old TS1500, and see if I can't upgrade some of these circuits and make them work. Which means I have to refresh my memory about Z80 m/c language and the Timex.

Some books that I found to be infinitely helpful in designing and constructing interfaces are "Build Your Own Universal Computer Interface" by Bruce Chubb, which deals with controlling a model railroad with various computers, but can be applied almost anywhere; and any old "Circuit Cellar" books and articles, written by Steve Ciarcia for the ancient "Byte" magazine. Ciarcia also wrote "Build Your Own Z80 Computer", an excellent source of hardware and software information that can easily be utilized for the TS computers.

Currently, I'm putting together an expansion board, that buffers and controls all relevant signals. Then I'll expand the memory and add the I/O interfaces. It's loosely based on the old Computer Continuum Buffered Expansion Board. I also have some circuits for interfacing a speech controller, and even an old Texas Instr. Speak 'n Spell.

I'm using the TS1500, which has some differences with the ZX81/TS1000 internally and operationally. For instance, I read that the ZX81 and TS1000 were limited in their I/O scheme, because A7 had to be 0, and A0 and A1 could not be used. I've not had any problems with this on my TS1500. One thing is puzzling me that perhaps someone can explain: During the RESET process, the BASIC operating system takes the data stored in location 8192 ($2000) and decreases it by one. Does anyone know why? Also, Wilf, you have a good understanding of HRG on the Timex; I have been generally unable to generate HRG with the TS1500, and I think it's probably due to the 16K DRAM built into the system.

So that' it friends. Excuse my rambling on as something people of my age do sometimes. I will post more information as necessary, and hope to hear from you all soon.

-Funkenstein-
KatManDEW

Post by KatManDEW »

Funkenstein: Sounds like we have a little in common. I work at a Research & Development facility, and I built lots of hardware for interfacing a ZX81 to a stage lighting controller, including 18+ channel D/A and A/D converters. I used a floppy drive with the ZX81(TS1000) in my stage lighting controller.

The stage lighting controller is a 24 channel multi-scene unit, expandable to 48 channels (96 with a bigger chassis), which I built myself. I designed and built the dimmer packs for use with the stage lighting controller, and they all utilize optocouplers.

I have an EPROM programmer that I used with my Timex-Sinclair 2068.

I also fly R/C airplanes. Lots of pics of them on my website.

Here's a pic of my setup;

http://www.katmandew.com
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

That is _seriously_ cool. Congratulations :)

I love the air of danger that permeates every molecule of set-ups like this. One mis-aimed sneeze...
KatManDEW

Post by KatManDEW »

sirmorris wrote:That is _seriously_ cool. Congratulations :)

I love the air of danger that permeates every molecule of set-ups like this. One mis-aimed sneeze...
Not the case at all. It was a very dependable setup. We dragged is all over the place, playing gigs all over the state, and in nearby states.

Here's she is with the lid closed.