Timex Sinclair 1000/ZX81 Cassette Recorder Requirements

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
austinbot2000

Timex Sinclair 1000/ZX81 Cassette Recorder Requirements

Post by austinbot2000 »

Hello,
I am new to this board as well as Sinclair computers. (have other vintage computer experience though) I have a Timex/Sinclair 1000 that works perfectly with my TI-99/4a's TI Program Recorder. However, it does not work with my GE Personal Portable Recorder and Cassette Player (the one in this link: http://www.amazon.com/GE-35027-AC-Casse ... e+recorder). Someone else said that newer recorders don't work well with the TS 1000/ZX81. So, what I need to know is:
What brands of cassette recorder work best?
Does the recorder need to have volume and tone dials or just volume?
Can it be a new recorder or an older one?
Does the Radio Shack CTR-121 work with a TS1000/ZX81?

Thanks,
austinbot2000
poglad

Re: Timex Sinclair 1000/ZX81 Cassette Recorder Requirements

Post by poglad »

One thing to try is to only keep one of the plugs connected at a time - the EAR plug when loading, and the MIC plug when saving. For some recorders, when you SAVE with both plugs connected it sets up a feedback loop which ruins the recording.
austinbot2000

Post by austinbot2000 »

I tried using the GE recorder, and here's the results:

Both times a simple "Hello World" program was saved to the cassette.

Saving with only the mic jack plugged in succeeded.
Loading with only the ear jack plugged in when the program was saved with only the mic jack plugged in failed all 5 tries. (failed as in no horizontal loading lines/bars ever appeared)
Loading with both jacks plugged in when the program was saved with only the mic jack plugged in caused horizontal bars to appear, but they were too thin all three tries.

Saving with both mic and ear plugged in succeeded.
Loading with only the ear jack plugged in when the program was saved with both jacks in failed all three tries (as in no horizontal loading lines/bars ever appeared)
Loading with both jacks plugged in when the program was saved with both jacks in failed all three tries (as in no horizontal loading lines/bars ever appeared)

Remember that when saving and loading with the TI Program Recorder it always works regardless of jack configuration (e.g. only one plugged in or both plugged in) making sure to mind having to mess around with the volume dial :mrgreen:
poglad

Post by poglad »

Odd!!!

Out of interest, if you plug an earpiece into the EAR socket of the GE, do you hear anything when you play the tape? Perhaps the socket simply isn't working properly.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

WELCOME TO THE FORUM AUSTINBOT2000 :D

This is the only one worth bothering with..Sony TCM939 Compact Tape Recorder.
Was found at many outlets but supplies seem to be drying up here's one example...

http://www.emptech.info/product_details.php?ID=1931

Before I got my ZXpand I used this for quite a while no load or save problems at all on ZX80/81 or Spectrum a bit pricey but highly recommended.

Both plugs can be used together on this model as no feedback loop created.

Failing that you might want to try this...
http://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/detail ... rface-2435
austinbot2000

Post by austinbot2000 »

That looks like a nice tape recorder! Only problem is, like you said, it's a bit pricey. Would you recommend any less expensive ($20-24 price range) recorder options?
Thanks
poglad

Post by poglad »

There are several on eBay in the £15-£20 price bracket, if you don't mind a used one.
austinbot2000

Post by austinbot2000 »

I have been on eBay and I have seen loads of inexpensive tape recorders, but I don't know which one to get because the Timex Sinclair 1000 seems to be picky about what cassette recorder it uses. Would you recommend a good type of recorder (e.g. Panasonic Slimline, not just Panasonic.)
Thanks
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

The important thing is to use a cassette recorder with a microphone input which is not equivalent to a line input.
The old computers have an output signal of about 5 millivolt only which has to be amplified strong for recording.
It is a bit like the phono input of some old amplifiers which has to be much more sensitive than a line input with a 100mV signal and more.

So an older tape recorder maybe a better alternative if you like to use it for saving programs as well. ;)
zx81jens

Post by zx81jens »

I have the same Recorder- Panasonic RQ-2102A SlimLine - brand new - I can SAVE Programs and LOAD them in again, but it have problems with older Cassette-Tapes from the 80´ to load them in.

I have some older Tape-Rekoders - and these work a lot better.

So this is only to listen to some old Music-Tapes (in Mono of course)

:mrgreen:

Greetings
Jens
eyerything will be okay in the end.
if it´s not okay, it´s not the end.

and: uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ɹǝʌǝ ɹǝʌǝu ןןıʍ ı