ZX81 in a another case and 'proper' keyboard?

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
salan

ZX81 in a another case and 'proper' keyboard?

Post by salan »

All,
I want to do a project of making up a ZX81 fully loaded in a different case and proper keyboard.
I used to do this years ago for making Z80 controllers. But that was a life time or two ago lol.
So any suggestions? What keyboard is available that can be 'hacked' made to work etc?
I used to rip the supply out and the modulator then solder ram pack components direct onto the edge connector and put the lot in a metal case. At the time ZX81's were 'ten a penny' lol.
alan
1024MAK

Re: ZX81 in a another case and 'proper' keyboard?

Post by 1024MAK »

Hello Alan. Welcome to our Zeddy forum :D

Keyboards - It very much depends on how much money you want to spend, what parts you have and what result you want.
You could look / search / keep an eye out for a replacement keyboard that was available back in the 1980's (e.g. Memotech keyboards come up every now and again on eBay).

If you can find an old broken computer that has a keyboard with real keyswitches, you could cut the tracks, then rewire it to the matrix used by the ZX81.

Or you could buy switches and make your own. Real keyboard switches and the caps are still made, but are a bit pricy. Or you can use the much cheaper PCB click switches, but would have to come up with a way of labelling the keys.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

On the Acorn forum StarDot it's often joked about (but I think people are sometimes quite serious ;) ) that Acorn Electron computers are only good for keyswitch donations..! On *. it's a joke but I think if I suggested it here it may be regarded as heresy - what do you think Mark ;)
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

I must admit that I do keep an eye out for broken 1980's computers where I could reuse the keyboard or the key switches. Not that I have come across many so far.

I have bought some inexpensive Acorn Electrons where the listing was not clear if they worked, but they all more or less work (minor faults like aged solder connections on the power jack socket). One does have a faulty enter/return key that I haven't looked into yet. This one may be used as spares for a Acorn BBC Master that has more faulty key switches than working ones, but the rest of the machine works okay.

But in general, I prefer it if only unrepairable computers are used as keyboard donors.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

As far as ZX81s are concerned, I have some where the original membrane is still okay, some with a replacement membrane (from RWAP / Sell My Retro) and I have some 1980's replacement keyboards. One is a Memotech, the beauty of this type, is it just plugs in the expansion edge-connector port, so is great for testing ZX81s when their membrane is faulty.

There were over five makes of replacement keyboards for ZX81's in the 1980's.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
salan

Post by salan »

1024MAK wrote:There were over five makes of replacement keyboards for ZX81's in the 1980's.

Mark
Where are they when you need them! lol
Alan
Prime

Post by Prime »

I have a ZX81 that I built into a Dell PC keyboard, I cut out the numeric keypad and mounted the 81 board there + internal 32K ram. Main part of the keyboard has been re-wired in ZX81 format, works well :)

Cheers,

Phill.
salan

Post by salan »

Prime wrote:I have a ZX81 that I built into a Dell PC keyboard, I cut out the numeric keypad and mounted the 81 board there + internal 32K ram. Main part of the keyboard has been re-wired in ZX81 format, works well :)

Cheers,

Phill.

Pictures?
poglad

Post by poglad »

1024MAK wrote:I have some 1980's replacement keyboards. One is a Memotech...
Have you tried that Memotech with the ZX80core? Does it work for you?

I have one and it doesn't work, but I suspect it could be the keyboard or interface itself that's faulty, rather than an incompatibility.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

My ZX80core is still under construction...

However, if you build the ZX80core as per the instructions, then the Memotech keyboard will not work.
The ZX80core and the Memotech keyboard both have normal chips with totem-pole push–pull output stages - so you get a bus conflict. In order for the Memotech keyboard to work, a chip needs removing, however it's not that simple as this chip has another function...

Once I have finished working on my other projects (Jupiter Ace kit), this is an area I plan to look at.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!