TI-99/4a case swap started

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
Jason

TI-99/4a case swap started

Post by Jason »

So this project has been put off since the summer, but ive finally started it. Ive a good working ts1000 that im installing into a ti case. I found an oldschool local computer guy, hes going to do the trace cutting and rewiring for the ti keyboard. So ill finally have a "real" keyboard, no more of the annoying membrane keyboard to deal with.

Im going to cut down the original ts1000 cases base, using that as an easy way of mounting it in the ti.

Yes, i added two tubes to this. Ive built a few vacuum tube amps and figured "why not"? The board will eventually be modded for an internal mini speaker, mounted under the grill on top.

Last edited by Jason on Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Good morning whiskey, Good morning night. The end of the world is in my sight."

Karmageddon Hank3
Jason

Re: TI-99/4a case swap started

Post by Jason »

"Good morning whiskey, Good morning night. The end of the world is in my sight."

Karmageddon Hank3
Jason

Post by Jason »

I work slow, but i knocked together a prototype for the audio section. Now i just have to mount a pcb prototype board in the case, build this amp on that for it to be neat and tidy.

No one NEEDS a mini tube amp added, but i enjoy the look of glowing tubes.

Now, i need to mount the sinclairs motherboard, rewire the TI keyboard and and add the s-video mod.

Karmageddon Hank3
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

I think the tube amp is absolutely glorious :D

Are you planning an AY upgrade for the machine or do you just _really_ like loading/saving sounds :hehehe:
Jason

Post by Jason »

Well since cash is limited (i suffer from a syndrome called having a very hot, but non working wife), so after rewiring the ti keyboard, ill add an edge connector i bought, laying the 16k ram board flat and wiring it to that. I figured id use an mp3 player to load games.

Perhaps i should mount the zx and ram on a prototype pcb board and use brass computer stand offs? Im trying to get a "clean" look for this. Its my first pc project and i dont want it to look like my first :)

I was just going to add an s video mod, it seemed easiest, then i could run that to my mini amp. Theres no true "reason" for this project, im just enjoying myself/

Karmageddon Hank3
yerzmyey

Post by yerzmyey »

Hmmm. If the amplifier would work both sides, then Jason could be able to listen normally to the ZX81 BEEPER music.
Although we have only 1-channel engine. Well...
IN NIHILUM REVERTERIS - a big text-adventure game for ZX81: http://tiny.pl/g2m6m
"MONOCHROME" issue 5 - (Spring 2014) free paper/PDF magazine about ZX81: http://tiny.pl/q2m44
ZX81 COMPETITIONS 2007/2009: http://zx81.republika.pl/