ZX Printer in the USA?

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
Moggy

Re: ZX Printer in the USA?

Post by Moggy »

zx_doog wrote:I Remember back in the day I had bought a printer made by Citizen, I believe, for my TS1000. It was a small dot matrix printer with a two color ribbon! It could print in Red or Black. It probably used the carriage assembly from a cash register or adding machine, adapted to a somewhat wider printout. For the life of me, I can't find any information on the existence of this printer, though. If anyone remembers these and has any details(Like the model number, etc). Please share! I believe you sent a special CHR$ code to toggle between Black and Red printing...

Citizen 120D if memory serves although with a Memotech printer interface most of the old dot matrix printers that followed the Epson standard should work.
I seem to recall using an Epson FX-100 for while which was ok for normal type but not for the Sinclair character set.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi all,

I am Dave, in Austin, Texas. I own Sandy Electronics, which makes QL parts. I'm working with Rich to get you some new belts made.

We've looked at the problem from lots of angles, and we have found a solution. We're using a prototype new 3D printable rubber material from Ninjaflex that has the ability to print strong yet flexible enough belts with fine enough resolution to work as a ZX printer belt. We'll be doing the work over the next two weeks. I'll keep you posted, with photos and etc.
balford

Post by balford »

Hi Dave,

Just wondering how you've been getting on with this - hopefully some good news isn't far away :)

Thanks!
B
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Sorry to be the wet blanket but I don't see the point as there about fifty rolls of silvered paper left in the world (forty of which are in my attic,yes I was the mug that got suckered !!) :lol:

I can see it now print one listing then put the printer back in the cupboard as there is no paper left to print with :(

Forgive the rant Abbot ale is quite strong and I'm on my thirteenth can (honestly)!! :shock:
balford

Post by balford »

I know, it's more just to have my unit in permanent working order :) It's bodged working for the moment but won't last forever.

There are 19 rolls of paper currently on eBay though :D

B
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

No doubt at a very high price :lol:

My two Alphacoms are still using the the till rolls I bulk bought very cheaply ten years ago!! ( and no Rich they don't fade after ten minutes no matter what you say) :lol:

Should this get off the ground I'm more than willing to barter my forty rolls for something zx81 orientated, 2764 eproms of the 25 volt variety I tend to find useful as I have an eprom burner for the Speccy that burns the higher voltage stuff.

God this beers strong!