Some Timex 1000 problems.

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
Reinier83

Some Timex 1000 problems.

Post by Reinier83 »

Hi, i'm very new to the ZX81/Timex 1000 home computer.
Last time i got a complete Timex 1000 setup, with games/sofware,16k memory exp and a printer.
But the computer is a bit of a mess, the case looks very good. But it missing screws ant rubber feeds.
And the cable of the keyboard is broken, also the modulator is missing.
I want to repair this nice computer, but what can i do?
Also i'm missing the power adaptor, witch adaptor can i use?
And is there a easy to do composite mod?
RWAP

Re: Some Timex 1000 problems.

Post by RWAP »

I can provide rubber feet and a ZX81 keyboard membrane - there are some minor differences between the TS1000 and ZX81 keyboard unfortunately (this has only recently been pointed out to me).

I only have a UK power supply.
tdg8934

Post by tdg8934 »

Reinier83,

I recently got back into the TS1000 scene from a couple I bought on eBay. One worked and the other had a couple of easy problems to fix. Radio Shack sells an Enercell AC Universal 1000mA AC Adapter which provides switched 3-12 vdc output (#273-316) with a free Enercell adaptaplug (get type "F" (1/8 inch) #273-1709). You can set the switch on 9 vdc. The downside is that the adaptaplug is right angled so it covers up the EAR and TAPE connectors.

I would also HIGHLY recommend from RWAP Software their ZXPand card which provides 32K ram and stores your ZX81/TS1000 programs on an SD card!!! No more having to use a SLOW Cassette tape recorder/player. They also have a ZXPand-AY card that plugs into the ZXPand card that allows you to add musical tones/music to the zx81/TS1000. It can be a bit expensive especially with shipping from the UK but I absolutely love both of them and dont regret them one bit! I am also finding new ways to use them. With the ZXPand card and adding some development to the firmware, I have already figured out how to use the ZXPands PIC chip to access the software UART and display messages on a Parallax serial LCD (also once sold at Radio Shack - http://www.parallax.com/product/27977).

Also from RWAP Software replace the TS1000 keyboard easily with a ZXPand keyboard membrane (Brand new!!) for many more years of use. Pick up some new rubber feet too from them as Rich suggested.

However, the very first thing you will need is to replace the modulator with their ZXVid mini card to allow you to use your zx81/TS1000 on a new modern LCD screen (or old TV with video RCA composite in jack). Don't use the simple transistor or diode modification as your screen will get dark. This ZXVid card is great and has a rock solid bright screen. I have one on each of my TS1000s.

Let me know if you have any concerns or questions and I and others on the forum will answer them.

Tim
TMAOne

Post by TMAOne »

RWAP wrote:there are some minor differences between the TS1000 and ZX81 keyboard unfortunately (this has only recently been pointed out to me).
That's news to me too. What's different?
gozzo

Post by gozzo »

Only 2 differences - 'RUBOUT' on the UK one is 'DELETE' on the US one, and 'NEWLINE' on the UK is 'ENTER' on the US. Why Sinclair decided on 'rubout' I don't know, surely 'delete' would have been the more obvious choice..???! As for 'newline', the 'newline' character code(118) is used to signify a 'new line' of the display file, and in the program listing, so that's probably why it got the name..calling it an 'enter' doesn't make sense in those terms!
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

If there was enough call, I could ask how much it would be to get some TS1000 membranes made (as it is only minor changes to the text) - no idea how many TS1000 users are out there !!
TMAOne

Post by TMAOne »

I can only speak for myself, but having just recently put a new membrane on a TS1000, this discovery that it is somehow "wrong" bothers me: not one bit. It's not like I've superglued an Edsel bumper on a '63 split window Corvette. If I was that fussy about it being "exact as from the factory", I'd have a problem with aftermarket membranes entirely, and I don't. Your keyboards are great Rich.

So I guess the question really becomes, how many fussy TS1000 users are out there?
blittled

Post by blittled »

I admit, I'm a fussy TS1000 user. If I had my choice of a ZX81 or TS1000 membrane I'd take a TS1000. But to make a limited run of them would probably mean they would be more expensive than the ZX81 membrane and being a cheapskate I'd get the ZX81 membrane instead. I do plan on having at least one TS1000 working with the original membrane though. So I'm in a dilemma having a war with the cheapskate and fussy sides of myself . :D Thanks!
2X Timex Sinclair 1000, ZX81, ZX80Core, 5X 16K Ram Pack, ZXBlast, ZX P file to Ear Input Signal Converter, Elf II
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

gozzo wrote:Only 2 differences - 'RUBOUT' on the UK one is 'DELETE' on the US one, and 'NEWLINE' on the UK is 'ENTER' on the US. Why Sinclair decided on 'rubout' I don't know, surely 'delete' would have been the more obvious choice..???! As for 'newline', the 'newline' character code(118) is used to signify a 'new line' of the display file, and in the program listing, so that's probably why it got the name..calling it an 'enter' doesn't make sense in those terms!
Myself, I prefer 'DELETE' compared to 'RUBOUT', and 'ENTER' compared to 'NEWLINE'. One, I think the former are more appropriate(*). Second, I'm biassed, as my first computer was a Spectrum...

But, it's a minor niggle, and as I don't have a Timex, it makes very little difference to me :lol:

Mark

(*) I think 'ENTER' has more meaning, because in Sinclair ZX BASIC you press 'NEWLINE' to finish entering a "line" of code. Said line of code could take up more than one screen line...
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Reinier83

Post by Reinier83 »

Thanks for the info, i will look in to it.