Some Timex 1000 problems.

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
RWAP

Re: Some Timex 1000 problems.

Post by RWAP »

Who would be interested in specific T/S 1000 keyboard membranes (with the correct terms used)?

I have a quote for 20 units, but they come out at around £18 each.....

Is it worth it?
yerzmyey

Post by yerzmyey »

gozzo wrote:Only 2 differences - 'RUBOUT' on the UK one is 'DELETE' on the US one, and 'NEWLINE' on the UK is 'ENTER' on the US.
Woooooow! I have never paid attention to this! Ha.
But - despite of those features - both keyboards are totally "compatible"?
I'm askin' just in case, You know. One day the TS1000 keyboard might die.
IN NIHILUM REVERTERIS - a big text-adventure game for ZX81: http://tiny.pl/g2m6m
"MONOCHROME" issue 5 - (Spring 2014) free paper/PDF magazine about ZX81: http://tiny.pl/q2m44
ZX81 COMPETITIONS 2007/2009: http://zx81.republika.pl/
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

Yes both keyboards are exactly the same....

I sent an email out to all of my American and Canadian Sinclair customers, and so far 99% of people are happy to stick with the ZX81 membrane....
ksng36

Post by ksng36 »

I think it will come down to economics - it doesn't appear to be cost-effective to have a TS1000 version. I guess it could depend on how much one love their computer, TS1000 or ZX81. Personally, I've worked with so many different computer systems with so many different OS's and so many different ways to get the needed answers from them that it has become second-nature to juggle the differences in my head. At the end of the day, I personally don't care one way or another.
Bill Sayre

Post by Bill Sayre »

So I was reading this thread, after stumbling across this website, so of course registered so I could post a reply. I currently own 2 T/S 1000's & a T/S 1500, which I just bought last weekend at a swap meet. One of the T/S 1000's keyboard is completely dead after an unsuccessful attempt at repairing it via a video on YouTube, and the other I was able to successfully repair, so I at least have one in working order. I am looking at eventually ordering some of the replacement membranes from RWAP, as I want to obviously fix the one, and I figure the other one will eventually start cracking again, as the fix is temporary at best.
I did notice the difference in the words on the two keys, and to be honest, while a part of me would love to keep it "original", the more practical part doesn't really care, as long as they work properly. I would think that if someone owns one and is working with it, they should be smart enough that the differences in the words would be a non-issue as far as usability.
I think it would just boil down to how much of a demand there would be for the T/S 1000 version membrane, on whether it would be cost effective to do a run of them. Although if you were able to and they were comparable in price to the ones currently available, I would probably be down to order some.
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

I did look into it, but basically unless there was a need to get 250 TS/1000 membranes made - the price would be about £30 a membrane so it is unlikely these will ever get made.
XorA

Post by XorA »

It is of course also possible to buy another set of molex connectors and mount them on ribbon cables, the membrane tails can then be cut much shorter and the connecters stuck to lid to remove any curves. This seems to have successfully worked for a zx81 I prepared for someone.