rf to rca?

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
yalokinh

rf to rca?

Post by yalokinh »

Would using an rf to rca cable work on normal american tvs for the timex1000? I saw video on youtube about it, where someone had a normal rca cable and worked, but like anything, it works for some but not for others.
PokeMon

Re: rf to rca?

Post by PokeMon »

It depends on the signal - not the connector.
Sinclair did use a RCA cable directly connected to the tuner and an RF connector on the other side.
This kind of cable is not very common as normaly RCA has direct video or audio signals and is not perfect for RF signals in VHF/UHF band.
zx_doog

Post by zx_doog »

I Realize this reply is late, but for the benefit of future readers, there exists an F-Type Male to RCA Female adapter that allows you to connect the sinclair to the TV-Tuner input. You simply thread the adapter onto the TV Antenna In and use a standard video RCA cable to connect. However, as has been discussed at length, modern TVs even using the RF signal give varying results due to the original signal generated by the early Sinclair computers not strictly following the specs(eg the missing back porch that some early ULAs exhibit).
TMAOne

Post by TMAOne »

There also exists the opposite, an F-type female and RCA male adapter. See eBay item 270837508332 This has the advantage of letting you use a length of TV coax rather than an RCA cable, which I would imagine is far less lossy for the RF signal.

I've been struggling get a good picture on modern TVs from the Zeddy, and after 30 years discovered this simple method is about the best I've seen. Fires the Sinclair output right into the 75 Ohm port. Works very well.

Disclaimer: I'm on the other side of the pond from most of you European folk. Results may vary?
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

TMAOne wrote: Disclaimer: I'm on the other side of the pond from most of you European folk. Results may vary?
No, the item no. in eBay is unique and valid for all country sites.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

PokeMon wrote:
TMAOne wrote: Disclaimer: I'm on the other side of the pond from most of you European folk. Results may vary?
No, the item no. in eBay is unique and valid for all country sites.
I think he was referring to the quality of the picture on the TV :mrgreen:

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
TMAOne

Post by TMAOne »

Actually it was the F type connector I was unsure of. I have a TV tuner PC card that has a different connector altogether for its antenna input, and I thought it might be a different European standard. (Turns out the card is PAL only as well. Anybody want it?) I haven't been to Europe since the 70's and didn't look at a television even then. :)

To re-iterate, take whatever you use to normally feed RF to your television, stick an RCA adapter on the "source" end, and plug that right into your Sinclair. Results will vary from television to television, but you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well the "simple solution" works.