Faceplates

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
RWAP

Faceplates

Post by RWAP »

I have received some sample replacement faceplates for the Sinclair ZX Spectrum (which go over the top of the rubber keyboard mat).

Whereas the originals were powder coated and then printed with the Sinclair rainbow and keywords, this version will have an adhesive overlay bonded to them - whilst this may start to peel with time and use, there are advantages:

a) We could get some printed for the TS1500 (any others ?) to replicate the originals..
b) They are less likely to scratch in use.

I have no idea how much it would cost to produce them with a different overlay, but presumably it should be about the same price as the Spectrum ones (as the main cost has to be the making and cutting of the faceplate itself).

So, bearing in mind that the company may be visiting me in the next few weeks -

1) What machines need these faceplates ? (ie they use the same case as the rubber key ZX Spectrum) - is it just the TS1500 ?
2) Can someone send me a sample case top, so that we can discuss it and work out the overlay details.

:D
RWAP

Re: Faceplates

Post by RWAP »

I have now received a quote and samples of the faceplates for the ZX Spectrum which are looking really good :)

The faceplates themselves are just finished in plain aluminium. The overlay can be any colour and matt or silk finish - obviously for the Spectrum, this will be black, with a semi-matt finish and appropriate lettering etc. The overlay is stuck to the faceplate by the factory, and we can get different designs made up as required.

I will be selling the faceplates for the ZX Spectrum at around £15 each.

Now is the time to get other overlays made as required - I will probably set aside 100 faceplates to cover the other overlay requirements.

So far as I know from the ZX80/ZX81 point of view, there is only the TS1500 which uses the same faceplate design as the ZX Spectrum - I am sure I had one of these - SirMorris - do you have it in your possession?

Are there any others which may need it?
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

A quick look on Google and I came across the Microdigital TK85 which would need a Black overlay with ZX81 commands - Microdigital logo in bottom right corner

Is there a market for these though - ie does anyone need one - maybe just a handful of each are required (10 ?). I would need to borrow a case top or existing faceplate to ensure the finish is right

Are there any others?
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

Ah - I may have someone in the UK who can lend me the Microdigital keyboard tops
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

I have been selling the first few Spectrum faceplates - the feedback has been excellent and having spoken with the manufacturer, adapting the adhesive overlay for other designs should be fairly simple

So, what I need now are some original case tops so that we can look at replacement faceplates.

There is at least the
TS1500
TK85
TK90X

Can anyone provide me with an original case top to borrow so that we can get new faceplates designed for these?

I forget who offered me the one for the TK85, but I never got it!
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

RWAP wrote:So far as I know from the ZX80/ZX81 point of view, there is only the TS1500 which uses the same faceplate design as the ZX Spectrum - I am sure I had one of these - SirMorris - do you have it in your possession?
I'll check.