Newbie question

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
TheAmoebaSon

Newbie question

Post by TheAmoebaSon »

Apologies this is probably a nieve question but is it possible to purchase a ZX81 clone with proper keyboard pre-made?

I have found kits online but I'm not confident I could reliability put one together, and tbh I would want a reasonable keyboard to use too. I suppose an hdmi output would be ideal too..

Thanks
Sam
msknight

Re: Newbie question

Post by msknight »

I don't know if there is anything pre-made. If there was, it would probably be an individual doing it... so in that sense it is possible.

However, I'd encourage you do pick up the soldering iron and give it a go.

HDMI isn't straightforward, however.

My experience and costing to build a new mechanical keyboard is here - https://msknight.com/bbc/index.html#zx81 - along with the HDMI output which required an RGB->HDMI unit. If you can find an old Memotech keyboard or the like on ebay, that would solve that for you, however.

Better to get a kit, run with a standard membrane keyboard and composite output... and when you've got that working, then step up to the HDMI and keyboard.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Maybe this
ZX80 / ZX81 Emulator for the Raspberry Pi Pico
Could be the answer to your question.
It works very good, runs on a variety of boards.
Some of which offer a Keyboard otherwise a usb keyboard can be used.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
TheAmoebaSon

Post by TheAmoebaSon »

Thank you both. Good advice. OK I may give it a go...also yes I have seen the Pi emulators and I think one that simply runs on the system without Linux (although perhaps that was a spectrum). I probably haven't soldered anything for 30 years and then it wasn't such a good job so who knows!

Thanks
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Soldering is about a combination of good technique and practice.

So start again with a good iron and a cheap electronic kit from say eBay or another source.

There are plenty of tips on soldering both as text tips and help and as videos online.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer being good this year.
Exile

Post by Exile »

TheAmoebaSon wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:01 am Thank you both. Good advice. OK I may give it a go...also yes I have seen the Pi emulators and I think one that simply runs on the system without Linux (although perhaps that was a spectrum).

Thanks
A Pi Pico emulator for the ZX81(which runs without an O/S) is picozx81. https://github.com/ikjordan/picozx81.
There is also a Spectrum emulator for the Pi Pico: pico-zxspectrum https://github.com/fruit-bat/pico-zxspectrum.

Both emulators support similar hardware, as an example, both support Pimoroni Pico DV Demo Base, which is available commercially. There is also custom pre-built hardware that can be purchased on ebay (search for pico spectrum, or pico zx81).
TheAmoebaSon

Post by TheAmoebaSon »

Wow - so much to look at. Thank you all...
TheAmoebaSon

Post by TheAmoebaSon »

Have ordered a Pimoroni with Pico...looking forward to it.
Thanks