ZX81 ULA replacement revisited

Discussions about Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81 Hardware
RetroTechie

Re: ZX81 ULA replacement revisited

Post by RetroTechie »

MACH210 devices are ancient, are you sure you want to base a new design on those? You may have considerable trouble finding those parts in a few years. Note that in Bodo's .zip mentioned above, file "zx81vid.abl" has the logic equations in ABEL, which are somewhat 'easy' to read & re-produce in whatever programmable logic of your choice.

AFAIK Andy Rea's design is written in Verilog, which should make it (relatively) easy to implement on a modern FPGA board.

In documentation with my ZX81 ULA project, I suggested use of a Xilinx XC9572XL in 64-pin VQFP housing. Such a part would fit nicely inside a 40-pin DIP footprint. And despite its fine pitch (0.5mm) between pins, certainly possible to hand-solder. 8-) I've tried hard but so far unable to find a similar 5V-tolerant part from Altera. Unless you're into soldering BGA packages... :lol:

And given the prices of PCB services lately, there is another option: take whatever 5V tolerant CPLD you want, and design an entire replacement ZX81 board around it. Gold plated edge connector, a few extra (Flash EP)ROM sockets, re-designed EAR/MIC circuitry, whatever.
mhudson52

Post by mhudson52 »

I guess this is the part where I fully expose my ignorance once again! :lol: My real reason for going with the MACH210 design as old as it is, is because it is the only design which I have found the files for the board, schematic, and source file to reproduce with my limited experience.

Naturally I would prefer to go with a better design such as Andy's, but finding the complete documentation needed is proving elusive no matter how many hours I spend searching this forum and others. I would love to see the documentation for your project. My sanity is tenuous enough as it is without even thinking about a BGA package!
TS 1000 bought in 1982 and brought back to life by Sir Ian
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

Reading the links provided, gives you links to zip-files with everything needed.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1862&start=10#p21120

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1862&start=10#p21128
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
mhudson52

Post by mhudson52 »

Thanks Martin. I had downloaded these zip files previously and looked at the contents, but felt like a hog being shown a wrist watch. I've got a LOT to learn. One thing that threw me off was the absence of an obvious .brd file in the contents. I'll keep studying and hopefully make some progress.

Mike
TS 1000 bought in 1982 and brought back to life by Sir Ian