ZXpand Specific Keyboard Membranes

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
RWAP

ZXpand Specific Keyboard Membranes

Post by RWAP »

Is there now a need to get some ZXpand specific keyboards run off, with the extra commands?

I think the last version of the graphic is as below...
ZXPand Membrane.gif
ZXPand Membrane.gif (125.03 KiB) Viewed 11006 times
Paul

Re: ZXpand Specific Keyboard Membranes

Post by Paul »

As I have two ZXpands, I could easily need two of those. I am just afraid that there will not be enough orders :oops:
@SirMorris: how far is your internal ZXPand from beeing a product?
for our external ZXPands this would be good, but for a Zeddy with an internal ZXPand this would be a "must have" :D
Or if you see this from the opposite side:
If these are the only ones we can buy, then they will also fit those ZX81s without a ZXPand 8-)
They are a just a little bit less original. Maybe these menbranes will give the ZXpand sales another kick?
Kind regards
Paul
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
yerzmyey

Post by yerzmyey »

Hi,

if I take the new keyboards finally, in 100% I'd take the "ZXpand-friendly" ones, if they're accessible one day.

PS: Actually it's a really cool idea, dude.
IN NIHILUM REVERTERIS - a big text-adventure game for ZX81: http://tiny.pl/g2m6m
"MONOCHROME" issue 5 - (Spring 2014) free paper/PDF magazine about ZX81: http://tiny.pl/q2m44
ZX81 COMPETITIONS 2007/2009: http://zx81.republika.pl/
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

I would also take two, but only if the top part of the keyboard were as thin as the original.
the keypress required to make contact is far greater than the original and makes an already hard job harder than it should be and leaves My fingers numb after ten minutes, that's why I opted in the end for external keyboards.

The new ribbons are great and the legends better than the originals but the top part is too inflexible IMO.

Moggy.
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

Paul has reminded me about the colours of the text...

CAT/COPY should be in white
DELETE / LPRINT in red
CONFIG / LLIST in red

The main issue is space - LPRINT on the original membrane overlaps the top of the S !

I think it may now be viable, as we have sold over 120 ZXpand units and I can get a viable quantity of 250 of the new membranes made...
Paul

Post by Paul »

Moggy wrote:I would also take two, but only if the top part of the keyboard were as thin as the original.
the keypress required to make contact is far greater than the original and makes an already hard job harder than it should be and leaves My fingers numb after ten minutes, that's why I opted in the end for external keyboards.

The new ribbons are great and the legends better than the originals but the top part is too inflexible IMO.

Moggy.
I do agree that it feels a bit less comfortable than the original, but maybe the softer top layer result in a less durable keyboard membrane?
I have some original membranes with broken keys...
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Any unreliability is surely caused by the "switching" part of the membrane and we would have to wait thirty years to find this out :lol: Plus it is usually the ribbons that crack and pack in not the membrane.
The top layer just needs to be that little bit thinner, again JMO.

Moggy
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

+1 for thinner :D

I have to say I think the market for the overlays would be fairly small. Unless they came bundled with new boards? Speaking of which I wonder if getting them built might be an option for batch 3?

PS: Paul - Internal ZXpand is a one-off, It's an almost complete replacement of the zeddy mobo.. :geek:
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Moggy wrote:Any unreliability is surely caused by the "switching" part of the membrane and we would have to wait thirty years to find this out :lol: Plus it is usually the ribbons that crack and pack in not the membrane.
The top layer just needs to be that little bit thinner, again JMO.
Moggy
Of all the second hand Zeddies I have obtained, most of the faults have been cracked or torn membrane tails (ribbons). True I have not checked any of these damaged keyboards to see if they had any further faults. Other non-keyboard faults that I have found include dead or partly functional ULA and duff modulator.

And as some of you are aware, other computers with keyboards that use membranes also suffer from cracked or torn membranes including, but not limited to the tails (ribbons). For example Z88, QL, Psion Series 5, ZX Spectrum. I know that some other computer keyboards (with key tops) also use membranes as the contacts, but am not sure what the cause of the faults is with these.
And my sisters all singing all dancing flash car music system failed due to a flexi print (membrane) link "cable" that cracked (this was about five or six years ago).

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
angus

Post by angus »

I've been lucky with my old Zeddies and the original keyboards & connections work fine. Until and unless I need to replace them I'm not in the market for a ZXPand 'compatible' overlay. There are only three new commands and I can remember them easily.

However, if I did need a new overlay I would definitely consider an enhanced ZXPand version. The ZXpand is a marvellous device and every Zeddy should have one :)