Make P files auto-run...

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
David G

Re: Make P files auto-run...

Post by David G »

I mostly use EightyOne, and the autorun works fine. If I have lines like this:

Code: Select all

1 SAVE "TEST APP"
   2 PRINT "HELLO WORLD"
then RUN it, it saves it to EightyOne. This will disappear then EightyOne is closed

Then to save that to a P file is a bit tricky:
1. On Tools menu, click "Tape Manager"
2. If there is more than one Program listed, right-click and Delete each extra Program
3. When there is only one Program listed, click the Floppy (save tape file) icon
4. Enter a name and change the "Save as type" to "P file"
5. Click OK
Attachments
TEST APP.p
autoruns from line 2
(945 Bytes) Downloaded 62 times
David G

Post by David G »

JoeBloggs wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:26 pmI saved the PAR.exe file on this message (by sirmorris Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:54 pm), but could not get it to do anything
tried the second version by XavSnap Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:08 am. However, it too would not do anything after starting it
It is a "console app", so if you double-click it, it will open a console window, run and then immediately finish, closing the console window. Yes, it will seem like it didn't do anything

To run par_w32 and have it change your P file:
1. Open a console window. Press Windows key, type in CMD and press Enter
2. When the console window appears, CD (change directory) to the folder where your P file is
3. Enter

Code: Select all

C:\path> PAR_32 MYAPP.P 2
It will list your program and say "not found" OR it will list the first line then say "Found. Writing autostart address in P file"
JoeBloggs

Post by JoeBloggs »

Thanks, however, my program already does have the command Save "NAME.P" in line 1, with the following line 2 being the actual programme start.
When saved it doesn't become an autorun version.

Thanks anyway.
JoeBloggs

Post by JoeBloggs »

Thanks for your reply, I had a little difficulty trying to remember MSDOS commands but eventually worked out how to get to the file (I placed my file inside a folder containing your app) and launch the app. I was though caught out when copying your example command and just changing the name of the app to my own.
When it failed to recognize the command or app, I soon realised that you had not used the same name for the app as used in the PAR.zip, having ommited the w before the 32.

Once I realised the error, I tried again, this time writing 'par_w64 MYAPP.P 2' and it ran normally;

ZX81 P-file AutoRun utility by SirMorris, Based on:
list utility (C) Jack Raats, Steenbergen 1992
Attempting to find line 2...
407d 1 SAVE "BRAMERTON FOLL[Y]"
Found. Writing autostart address in P file...
Done!

True to your word it created my file as an autorun! At last it works as it should. Many thanks for your help and assistance.
David G

Post by David G »

Glad to hear it worked. PAR a nifty little program

Were you able to get the SAVE line to work in EightyOne? I typed out how to SAVE the P file above. It is one of the trickiest parts of using EightyOne, and I periodically forget how to do it