ANOTHER BUILD A ZX80 PAGE

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
Moggy

ANOTHER BUILD A ZX80 PAGE

Post by Moggy »

I don't recall seeing this here before so apologies if it has already been mentioned.

The software page includes some flicker free games apart from Kong and Pac man ie breakout and defenda.

http://www.microwave.gr/giannopk/zxcomputer/

Regards
Moggy
RWAP

Re: ANOTHER BUILD A ZX80 PAGE

Post by RWAP »

Some more nice software on there for the ZX80 - although there is no mention of the authors!
RetroTechie

Post by RetroTechie »

Veeeerrrrrryyy nice! :D Didn't know about this page. As for the project, I have some remarks:
  • While I understand the reason for using loose turned pins, I doubt it's necessary. If you have a turned pin socket & push it into circuit board, part of the pins stays above the board & you can solder onto that. To solder onto the inner side of IC socket pins, all you need to do is hold solder wire against a pin from that side, while holding soldering iron against other side of the IC pin. I've used this method often to connect traces on top & bottom side of a double sided board. This doesn't work with low-cost IC sockets (since no part of the pins are reachable when IC socket is inserted), but with turned pin sockets no problem.
  • I'm also slightly surprised that someone chooses to re-create a computer (using parts that could be obtained new!), but then goes with the old 1Kx4 RAM chips... I mean what's wrong with using 1K of a plain 8Kx8 or 32Kx8 SRAM? :?: (okay those old 1Kx4 RAMs in ceramic package do look cool!)
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

Cool i have not seen this site either. it just so happens i was after some zx80 programs... i even found my 1 and only ZX80 program that i wrote shortly after building a veroboard ZX80 (which i dismantled :( )

zx80 mastermind :D

Thnaks Rich for this find.

Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Andy Rea wrote:Cool i have not seen this site either. it just so happens i was after some zx80 programs... i even found my 1 and only ZX80 program that i wrote shortly after building a veroboard ZX80 (which i dismantled :( )

zx80 mastermind :D

Thnaks Rich for this find.

Andy

RICH! RICH!!!

It was the tabby cat not the purveyor of fine aged computer whatnots who found it. :D :lol:

Regards
Moggy
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

Opps :oops:

Please please my feline friend accept my most humble apologies :D

Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Andy Rea wrote:Opps :oops:

Please please my feline friend accept my most humble apologies :D

Andy
Accepted Andy, now forget Your ULA, the tracker program, and the five hundred other projects You are doing, :ugeek: and get on and build a dozen of these ZX80s :lol: :lol:

Regards
Moggy
zx80nut

Post by zx80nut »

Not meaning to blow my own trumpet, but don't forget where he got all the hardware information (PCB layouts) from ;)
...and the latest version of the track layouts is maintaned on my page.

(By the way, the 2K expansion is from Everyday Electronics)

Grant

http://searle.hostei.com/grant/zx80/zx80.html
[Edit by Grant on 7th July 2012 - UPDATED URL !]
Last edited by zx80nut on Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

Post by Paul »

zx80nut wrote:Not meaning to blow my own trumpet, but don't forget where he got all the hardware information (PCB layouts) from ;)
...and the latest version of the track layouts is maintaned on my page.

(By the way, the 2K expansion is from Everyday Electronics)

Grant

http://home.micros.users.btopenworld.com/zx80/zx80.html
For shure! First thing I looked at was where his layout came from and he gave you credits ;)
Of course your page will always be our first reference.
It's just good to see that there are several other ZX80 pages now, all referencing your page.
I thought about starting one myself, but I am afraid I am to lazy :oops:
I did not even collect all available ZX80 programs :(
Using them would be easy now I have the ZXPAND running with my ZX80's
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

It would be nice if the guy gave links to the sources of the software - Paul F. spent a lot of time and effort putting some of those programs together.

C