AY Sound design tool

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
sirmorris

AY Sound design tool

Post by sirmorris »

Pfft. Seeing as no-one else was going to do it. Here you go. instructions on-screen.

;)

C

** EDIT 10th Nov 2011 - updated to version 1.11
+ much improved keyboard handling
+ ZXpand joystick compatibility
+ 'live' preview mode
Attachments
sd-1.11.zip
(3.04 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
Last edited by sirmorris on Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Moggy

Re: AY Sound design tool

Post by Moggy »

OOO Yer little Bugger this looks good :lol:

Moggy
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

sst.PNG
sst.PNG (11.58 KiB) Viewed 31505 times
** NEEDS RAM AT 8K, WRX CAPABILITY **

For each channel you can change the frequency, volume and mixing. The three letters to the right are the mixer controls.
N is for noise, T is for tone, and E is for envelope. A minus indicates the feature is off. A plus, it's on.

N+ .. Noise is mixed into the channel.
T+ .. Tone is mixed into the channel.
E+ .. The channel's volume is controlled by the envelope generator. E- it's controlled by the volume parameter.

The pitch of the noise (can noise have a pitch?) may be controlled.
The envelope frequency controls the rate at which the envelope repeats.

The noise and envelope controls affect all channels in the same way if selected.

I have to admit I've only run this in an emulator - I sent all my AY boards to Rich ;)

I have a plan for a couple of improvements - the input is very twitchy and perhaps a little awkward. I'm going to improve the input handling, and I'll be adding joystick control. This was always the idea, hence the funky editing scheme ;) I'll also remove the requirement for RAM at 8K.

Comments and requests, as always, invited.

C
siggi

Post by siggi »

Hi Charlie,
a nice program. And runs also with my non-zxpand-AY card :D

IMHO the key repeat rate is too high (at least for me), so it is difficult to set the volume.
And perhaps you could use the cursor keys to edit and SHIFT+cursor to move (to avoid to toggle with key 0).

Siggi
My ZX81 web-server: online since 2007, running since dec. 2020 using ZeddyNet hardware
http://zx81.ddns.net/ZxTeaM
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Nice one Charlie :D

Works just fine on the real thing, and yes noise, being a superimposition of many sound waves with defined pitch , can have pitch though it's very subjective and usually takes a spectrum analyser to sort it out.(EH?) :?

The only awkward thing I can find on the input is that volume control is a bit hit and miss (too fast).

Whilst it's a cracking little piece of software in itself ,Charlie, I don't see it's purpose apart from playing around with sound, is it a case of working out a sample with this then going onto, say , Vortex tracker with Your samples already worked out thus saving time?
Or will there eventually be some way of saving samples?

Not meant as a criticism in any way Charlie but You asked for comments. :D

Your humble beta tester as always. :lol:

Moggy
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

@siggi - yes the input is a problem. It will be addressed in the next release. I think I can probably sort out the shift key thing, but one decision is to make it drivable by joystick. I'll see if I can have both modes.

@moggy - it's just a toy, really. There is nothing like this out there - vortex tracker may be able to do the same kind of thing but it's a little hardcore for me ;) This is pretty much simply to work out sounds for FX in games or whatever.

C
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Totally understood Charlie I get it now. :D

You're right about trackers a massive amount of input required for so little output, and so time consuming, I think that's why a lot of tracks are a bit repetitive a few 4-8 bar loops cobbled together to make up 3-4 minutes worth of song, ok for those with a lot of time on their hands I suppose.
It's not a discipline that comes easy to Me. :(
Anyhow another sterling effort Charlie and a nice collection of software building up for Xpand/AY.

Regards
Moggy
siggi

Post by siggi »

sirmorris wrote:@siggi - yes the input is a problem. It will be addressed in the next release. I think I can probably sort out the shift key thing, but one decision is to make it drivable by joystick. I'll see if I can have both modes.
Perhaps you could use UP/DOWN for big increment/decrement steps and LEFT/RIGHT for small steps?

Siggi
My ZX81 web-server: online since 2007, running since dec. 2020 using ZeddyNet hardware
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Rather than left/right for big steps and up/down for small as it is now? You can't really tell on the smaller input fields but the envelope frequency really needs this :)

C
siggi

Post by siggi »

sirmorris wrote:Rather than left/right for big steps and up/down for small as it is now?
Upps, I didn't know that (used only UP/DOWN) :oops:

Siggi