384 rows super HRG

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
stefano

Re: 384 rows super HRG

Post by stefano »

Wonderful!
siggi

Post by siggi »

Moggy wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:12 pm Your screenshot seems not to match Stefano's.
That is the differene of AI (artificial incompetence) versus reality :mrgreen:
My ZX81 web-server: online since 2007, running since dec. 2020 using ZeddyNet hardware
http://zx81.ddns.net/ZxTeaM
stefano

Post by stefano »

I took a photo with my phone while the picture was being generated on EO.
Then I cut a portion of it, but the result is what I was hoping to get.

M1NOT shouldn't be necessary. In theory a 32K RAM expansion capable of wrx graphics should work.
stefano

Post by stefano »

I don't remember whether I placed the display buffer at 32768. It's a 12k blob, it overflows easily.
stefano

Post by stefano »

siggi wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:32 pm
Moggy wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:12 pm Your screenshot seems not to match Stefano's.
That is the differene of AI (artificial incompetence) versus reality :mrgreen:
Well, yes.
You are both right, I haven't considered the phase. I have no way to predict whether the TV display will be drawing the even or the odd lines series when the driver boots.
The picture taken by siggi shows the lines in the wrong order. I'll post a new test program soon, but I'm willing to try increasing also the horizontal resolution, first.

EDIT: no luck.
I'm attacching the new test program. After the lines being drawn press 'p' to rephase (press it many times, every time you have 50% of probability to hook the correct phase).
I'm evaluating whether to add a function to invert the phase.
test_wrxi_2.p
(2.92 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
The position of the graphics D-FILE is at 32768, I still can't think at a reason for this program failing on a ZX81 with a WRX modded 32K.
siggi

Post by siggi »

I used a LCD monitor and an old CRT TV.
Pressing p did change the pic seen on the monitor, but the upper right faces still look ugly.
On CRT, the left upper circle flickers, but not on LCD
IMG_2448_1024x768.JPG
My ZX81 web-server: online since 2007, running since dec. 2020 using ZeddyNet hardware
siggi

Post by siggi »

A different ZXNU and LCD:
left circle flickers like on CRT
IMG_2455_1024x768.JPG
stefano

Post by stefano »

Flickering is expected, the overall rate drops to 50%
The top-right face IS blurred, it is just a fancy useless experiment.

The top-left face is drawn on a single frame only, the bottom-right is drawn on both the frames and sould appear in standard 256x192 resolution as the top row.

The only real element in high resolution is the lower diagonal line. Pressing 'P' it should change slightly and gain a little bit of definition when the right phase is locked.
What I need to know is whether this line is acceptable, compared to the upper one.
I know it flickers, but basing on the pictures I think it is worth to go ahead and provide a whole graphics functions set.

In the meantime I'm still attempting to get a regular display driver (no interlace) with an average resolution, say 288 horizontal pixels but I don't think I will succeed: code timing is very critical.
Increasing the rows just a little more is not difficult but the code would slow down significantly.

Another possible trick could be to shrink the picture making it interlaced and keep the same resolution of a WRX frame. It will look ugly and will cover only the top-half of the screen but the code will run faster on the same graphics resolution :D
siggi

Post by siggi »

Ok, only the diagonal lower line: looks good:
IMG_2456_1024x768.JPG
And now: bad:
IMG_2457_1024x768.JPG
stefano

Post by stefano »

test_wrxi_3.p
(2.93 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
New version. I tried to mockup a theorical high resolution face symbol.
I also removed the blurred picture, it now shows the flickering/ghosting picture (almost the worst case scenario of a single frame in use).

It is good to know that on some LCD display the picture is reasonably stable, though.

Siggi, don't get crazy testing everyting, I think your feedback is already rather good.
I'm mostly concerned for the crash reported by Moggy, I suppose the ZXpand provides 32K, it shouldn't crash.