AYe AYe...

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
Paul

Re: AYe AYe...

Post by Paul »

Paul wrote:
Paul wrote:There is also a PDF descirbing what it does (for Programmers I suppose). I will read, translate and post this tomorrow.
As promised:

The PDF should have appeared here, if pdf had been allowed. As doc and pdf are both not allowed (why?) I can only send it via email on request.

I have translated most parts to english. Feel free to enhance/correct the document to your needs. I can send the word document on request
Well I made jpg out of it, each bigger than the entire pdf.
maybe anybod is able to read it
Attachments
pp2.jpg
pp2.jpg (164.12 KiB) Viewed 5540 times
pp3.jpg
pp3.jpg (155.74 KiB) Viewed 5540 times
pp4.jpg
pp4.jpg (128.25 KiB) Viewed 5541 times
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
Paul

Post by Paul »

and here come page 1 as only 3 file were allowed :cry:
Attachments
pp1.jpg
pp1.jpg (170.32 KiB) Viewed 5540 times
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

Paul wrote: As promised:

The PDF should have appeared here, if pdf had been allowed. As doc and pdf are both not allowed (why?) I can only send it via email on request.

I have translated most parts to english. Feel free to enhance/correct the document to your needs. I can send the word document on request
I didn't realise that document uploads were disabled - I have now enabled this :D
Paul

Post by Paul »

maybe i may attach pdf when i reach 100 posts?
its worth a try
Paul

Post by Paul »

Got it!

Thanks Rich! :mrgreen:
Attachments
PinkpantherE.pdf
(168.35 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Excellent posts from Paul and Kmurta :D

Come on Charlie time to get cobbling :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards Moggy
sirmorris

Re: AYe AYe... PORTS??!

Post by sirmorris »

I spent hours this morning (insomnia caused by excitement) with a logic analyzer and now I've run the demos in EO I think I know why my board remains silent...

The Zon-X manual states that ports $0F & $CF are used for IO. So why-oh-why are people using $DF? Is there another AY board out there which uses this port? Is this compatible with the Zon-X board? I remember Siggi had to modify his original Zon-x to work with this address - Siggi?

When I built the ZXpand IO equations I expected $CF to be used. Unlike most boards ZXpand decodes IO addresses fully - IE it uses all the 7 address bits in the comparison. This means it won't trigger against $DF. It's my intention that I won't release new GAL code as it's technically not necessary - we need to ensure that all players have the option to be poked or configured to use 'strict' addressing...

I'll get busy with some poking at lunchtime and see what comes out.

C
Paul

Post by Paul »

Sorry Charlie,

0xDF and 0x0F (modified zonX and projects from papers)
0xCF and 0x1F (original zonX)
0xCF and 0x0F (from zonX manual)
0xDF and 0x1F (theoretically possible, maybe non relevant, but accepted by a new designed board from Sascha2000)

This is what is found to be relevant for soundmodules, I am afraid thats all used in some software, some of the games where we have to find out which adresses to poke...
Sascha2000 goes the other way and accepts all of these adresses to be shure every program will work.
see http://forum.tlienhard.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 3267#p3266
as a reference
siggi

Re: AYe AYe... PORTS??!

Post by siggi »

sirmorris wrote: The Zon-X manual states that ports $0F & $CF are used for IO. So why-oh-why are people using $DF? Is there another AY board out there which uses this port? Is this compatible with the Zon-X board? I remember Siggi had to modify his original Zon-x to work with this address - Siggi?
Here I am ;-)

Perhaps because Wilf (http://www.user.dccnet.com/wrigter/inde ... %20ZON.htm) and EO are using other addresses than the original ZONX-Box? :-(

I modified my ZONX (cut address line A4), when I found, that the games using sound were only running "loudly" on EO and not with my ZONX :-(

Siggi
My ZX81 web-server: online since 2007, running since dec. 2020 using ZeddyNet hardware
http://zx81.ddns.net/ZxTeaM
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Thanks guys!

I will modify the GAL code to ignore A4, thus giving compatibility with this range. This would mean shipping a new GAL with each ZXpand-AY.

I think it's the best solution though.

C