AYe AYe...

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
Moggy

Re: AYe AYe...

Post by Moggy »

Attachments
zonx (1).rar
(1.47 MiB) Downloaded 131 times
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Attachments
zonx (2).rar
(1.29 MiB) Downloaded 138 times
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

A few more files for zonx users (thats Me and Jens then!!)

The first two are classical pieces by Debussy and Bach the third a demo I had on disk.
I chose these because MIDI2AY seems to translate rather well, arpeggios and trills but struggles with complex chords, even simple triads. Also It doesn't seem to be able to convert MIDI drums.
I have done more than one version of each using a MIDI sequencer to either lower the whole piece by an octave or so , or just lowering the piano left hand for a better seperation.

It took nearly a whole evening to get this far because not many MIDI files lend themselves to easy conversion, plus I keep running up against this bloody 16K limit,( a reasonable MIDI file is about 20-30K ,100k plus for orchestral works,the conversion roughly the same), and by the time You have knocked out half of the instruments to lower the file size and stripped out the none note data , You end up with a pretty awful noise!! :(

So it would seem that unless there is a way to use more of the xpands 32 k, short demos and simple piano pieces are all thats left as far as MIDI conversion is concerned; Self programmed pieces is another matter.

Anyway have fun. :D

Regards Moggy
Attachments
AY-bin.rar
(15.06 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Third time lucky..!
v3
v3
DSCF4921.JPG (298.55 KiB) Viewed 4178 times
The new GAL code will select at $0F & $1F, $CF & $DF. It's fully decoded. There's no amp/volume control on here, I decided to stick with letting the speakers do the amping. Sorry Moggy :(

It does have a joystick port on, though!!

C
BrunoFlorindo

Post by BrunoFlorindo »

Can I convert Spectrum tunes just by replacing the port writes with zon-x ones?
Paul

Post by Paul »

BrunoFlorindo wrote:Can I convert Spectrum tunes just by replacing the port writes with zon-x ones?
The duration has to be recalculated because of different clocks. Or your player has be take care of that.
The "German" player takes care of this as it usually played spectrum music.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

sirmorris wrote:Third time lucky..!
DSCF4921.JPG
The new GAL code will select at $0F & $1F, $CF & $DF. It's fully decoded. There's no amp/volume control on here, I decided to stick with letting the speakers do the amping. Sorry Moggy :(

It does have a joystick port on, though!!

C

Not the amping thats a worry Charlie, just impedence matching, powered speakers or power amps expect some kind of clean pre-amp signal not raw noisey unfiltered chip output,but if it works what the hell go for it good Sir Knight :lol: a nice looking board, if it sounds as good as it looks I'll have the first two please :lol:

Regards Moggy
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hi SirMorris,
I try to guess how this will be plugged into the zxpand. From that I think that the joystick port will be on top of the package with the cable going up, right?
Am I wrong :?: I think I remember a post of you that stated it would be better to have the port going to the left or right side because of possible wobble :shock: if it is on top?
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
sascha2000

Post by sascha2000 »

@sirmorris

>It sounds awful though - completely distorted. Scratchy - almost like it's clipping. I've added an mp3 to see if anyone can shed any light.

Do you still have that problem?

I had a similar effect with my ym2149 but not as intensive like yours. Reason was a too long wire from /RESET of the ym to the Sinclairs expansion bus. Under some circumstances when I approached with my hand close to the cable the sound became partly distorted. This effect became stronger if VCC was set up above 5V i.e. 5.2V or so.

In my case reducing VCC ( I am using currently an external power supply) and connecting /RESET directly with VCC was the solution.

A> The output signal path?
B> The mic input on my PC?
C> the Yamaha clone chip?

Maybe "A>" could have an effect too. You tied the analog output A, B, C together?

Have look here: http://kaput.homeunix.org/~thrashbarg/ay-3-8912.png
For me this worked well.

Best Regards

Sascha2000
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

V3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfhcZY5d8zY

Recorded today at this event. Please ignore the background noises... Sound quality improves at 00:50.

C