ZXpand ROM release V4 beta

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
sirmorris

ZXpand ROM release V4 beta

Post by sirmorris »

Well, there are no new features - well maybe only a tiny one - this is mostly a vanity release.

I've modified the start-up code so that a full DFILE is generated on reset. The boot is now almost instant as the machine doesn't have tp perform the slow DFILE expansion.

The "ZXPAND INTERFACE X.Y" banner is printed so you know that the board is plugged in ;)

I've also (since playing with the ZX80 version of the ROM) seen how to make CAT work without parameters so now simply pressing V/NEWLINE will show the listing of the current working directory.

I'll probably ship new boards with this ROM unless people think that it's 'un-zeddy-like' to have a banner at startup?

[video link]

**edit - file removed - new version available in later post **
Last edited by sirmorris on Fri May 13, 2011 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Rea

Re: ZXpand ROM release V4 beta

Post by Andy Rea »

I like it :D

i did wonder about CAT but that cool too 8-)

Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

I think it is a good idea - maybe also show the amount of free memory?
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Nothing wrong with a banner Lord Morris :lol:
Does this mean I'm going to lose more sleep Beta testing Your latest brainstorm :?:
I thought the lights were going dim over Oxford ;)

Regards Moggy
siggi

Post by siggi »

sirmorris wrote: I've modified the start-up code so that a full DFILE is generated on reset. The boot is now almost instant as the machine doesn't have tp perform the slow DFILE expansion.
Is this behaviour limited to startup only?
If that is also performed on a NEW command, then there could be problems when you want to play 1K or 2K games (by setting RAMTOP down), because those programs might expect a collapsed display file.

Siggi
My ZX81 web-server: online since 2007, running since dec. 2020 using ZeddyNet hardware
http://zx81.ddns.net/ZxTeaM
Paul

Post by Paul »

siggi wrote: Is this behaviour limited to startup only?
If that is also performed on a NEW command, then there could be problems when you want to play 1K or 2K games (by setting RAMTOP down), because those programs might expect a collapsed display file.

Siggi
Are you thinking of typing in? Because on load all this would be loaded and the game would work.
If new would result in a full dfile with 1K , would then CLS not collapse it again?
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

@siggi: yes, exactly like Wilf's original code. The banner is only shown on reset, not NEW.

This is a very good point about 1k software - I'll test with RAMTOP set. Thanks Siggi!

C
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Well I've tested it and all is well. The dfile-expansion happens in the code path which is only executed at reset. When NEW is invoked the original start-up code is executed and if RAMTOP < 1K then we get a collapsed DFILE.

I did however discover a bug :¬) my memory-clear routine was corrupting the value of RAMTOP which was 256 bytes too low :oops:

This new version corrects that behaviour. I've deleted the old version.

I've added code to show the memory configuration - there's no point in showing the size now, is there? It's always 32K at reset ;¬)

C
Last edited by sirmorris on Sat May 14, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

However the ROM image presented above doesn't seem to work with the real hardware - can anyone verify this please?

C
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

sirmorris wrote:However the ROM image presented above doesn't seem to work with the real hardware - can anyone verify this please?

C
As You Know Charlie I have only a speccy EPROM burner so rom images no good for Me:( ,but if You want to throw a 2764 My way I'll gladly burn the midnight oil.

Regards
Moggy