how best to fit an RPG into 1k?

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
Crayon21

how best to fit an RPG into 1k?

Post by Crayon21 »

I am working on a little RPG that (incidentally for better or worse) shares the name with another game on here (Dungeons of Ymir) and was wondering how best to fit the game into 1k. I have the story and game all mapped out but how do make it so that the cpu keeps spawning enemies for the player to fight (or in this case, run from)? The story is as minimal as can be.
essentially:
"Oh no, you stopped in a cave which is chock full of blades? tread carefully or you'll end up like dave, Flayed in his bed, meat off the bone, your future is grim, so just go home"

the demo is fairly brief but gives an overview:
1. Combat is deadly
2. flee when possible, move only at night
3. there is no ending, only death

i am planning to use the full 16k, but my knowledge of machine code is nil and someone else will have to supply a routine for allowing movement on screen (i am hoping to allow for wasd or arrow keys).

your character is just a dot and the other enemies are represented by an X
Could it work?
In Heck, there are two options for perpetual torment:

Eat the Puckerberry and suffer for eternity:
drink nothing but a cocktail of The Last Dab and Mexican Cake blended and served with
habanero slices
:twisted:
dr beep

Re: how best to fit an RPG into 1k?

Post by dr beep »

Define what you want to do...
What size is the playfield?
How do you store and move enemies?
What is the gameplay?
Moving just 1 character over the screen is esily.

Take a look on my 1K hires games to see what is possible.
https://www.youtube.com/user/zx81hires/videos
David G

Re: how best to fit an RPG into 1k?

Post by David G »

Crayon21 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:35 ama routine for allowing movement on screen (i am hoping to allow for wasd or arrow keys).

your character is just a dot...
For sample code for a standard ZX81 see, ZX81 Machine Code demo: how to move a dot around