2PAXMAN, a new pacman for the ZX81

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
dr beep

2PAXMAN, a new pacman for the ZX81

Post by dr beep »

I am working on my own version of Pacman for the ZX81.

So far playable in eating dots but no ghost chase yet.
Have fun.....

Controls QAOP
Newline = New game
zpax018.p
(2.29 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
Spinnetti

Re: 2PAXMAN, a new pacman for the ZX81

Post by Spinnetti »

Cute. Ghosts are a little fast but it looks good and "feels" right!

Me and a buddy are working on our version of Donkey Kong ("Zonkey Kong") We know its been done much better already, but we started it 40 years ago and by gum it will be done this year lol... (Just polishing up the last bits now).
Zeddy: ZX80, ZX81/ZXpand, TS1000/ZXpand, TS1500/Zxpand+
Speccy: 48k, +, +2, +3, TS2068, "Bare Metal" Pi, Next KS2, IF1/Microdrives/Vdrive/Light Gun/VGA-Joy
QL: Minerva/QL-VGA/Custom PSU
C5: 24v, LiFE battery, Disc brakes
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

Ghost speed can be changed easily, only working on quickest display so far.
marste

Post by marste »

So far very very promising!! :)

Ghost speed is good for an advanced level for sure, and the playability of the pacman is fantastic!

Not really like the name (paxman? paxman2? zapman?), anyway is not the key, and is also a pity this one wouldn't fit in 1k, or with a smaller maze it would? :D

Hoping you might appreciate, I've created also a maze that is as the one in the coinop, respecting the type of graphic you used. I attach for your convenience the p program that generate the maze in the ZX81 as well as the source file in ascii. This is the result:
PACMANSCREEN.jpg
Take in consideration that there are still 2 free lines that can be used for the player points, record and level display, or to enhance even more the quality of the maze!

Moreover, I think that using the inverse video (meaning depicting the walls with white) the quality would improve even more, with the maze blending with the border and the light/dark tones exactly as the coinop! In this way there is also the possibility to remove the some outer border (there is the border of the screen that is white the same) and gain even more space for the maze! (if you want I can submit also other examples)
Attachments
PACMANSCREEN.p
(8.16 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
PACMANSCREEN.bas
(6.47 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
marste

Post by marste »

Four rows more and this one would be a perfect reproduction (dot counts speak for itself!). Anyway it's very very very near to the original!...
PACMANSCREEN3.jpg
The only change would be the inverted image (and for this adding or removing 128 to all the numbers in the program will do the trick :))
Attachments
PACMANSCREEN3.p
(9.33 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
PACMANSCREEN3.bas
(7.77 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
marste

Post by marste »

And in case for the perfect AI movements there is also the pacman dossier and the related video: 8-)
https://web.archive.org/web/20151005205 ... ssier.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ataGotQ7ir8
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

This pacman doesn't have to be a rotated screen from the original. The name has a reason which will come clear in the menu. AI of the ghosts will be how I code it. This will be my version, not a copy of the original on a ZX81.
marste

Post by marste »

Sorry Johan, I was just willling to be useful. As you might have figured out I really like pacman and I think is a real masterpiece as just few others, back then but also today!
I'm sure 2paxman will be a great game, as usual from you, really curious to see it!
See you!
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

marste wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:41 pm Sorry Johan, I was just willling to be useful. As you might have figured out I really like pacman and I think is a real masterpiece as just few others, back then but also today!
I'm sure 2paxman will be a great game, as usual from you, really curious to see it!
See you!
I still can use a maze based on the display you see.
Only fixed items is the block of the ghost and the start of the pacman.

So if you want to make a maze.... feel free.
marste

Post by marste »

As for a generic maze the one you proposed is a nice one. Personally I'm finding a bit diffucult entering in the tunnel when I arrive from the bottom, but also this could be a desired behaviour for this maze!
Do you want to change mazes as level progress? In case I can propose some others!