New ToddyForth with built-in editor & block storage (Was: TasWord as editor for ToddyForth)

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
Moggy

Re: TasWord as editor for ToddyForth

Post by Moggy »

Hi Kelly.

Many thanks for quick reply. :D

You mention downloading the compiler but the problem is I'm not very good with these things and wouldn't know how to compile. :oops: :oops: But no worries.

One thing I would like to see on any ZX Forth is floating point maths but I think that would be too difficult to implement on such a small machine.

Also is it possible to implement double number subtraction ( D- as used in other Forths including 79 ) to compliment the D+ word as this would be useful?

I have thought about what to retain from FIg but have come to the conclusion that if you start to retain too many things then it can become too big and overweight but more importantly it would not be the Forth you are trying to create so the best thing is to stay true to your plans and produce Forth79-83 which I agree has become a leading Forth over the years and I would be very interested to see a version of this,which I believe is available for the ZX Spectrum.

https://www.worldofspectrum.org/infosee ... id=0025247

Thanks also for the PDF this will be very useful for all of us :D

Regards.

Moggy. h4th
kmurta

Post by kmurta »

Moggy wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:28 am You mention downloading the compiler but the problem is I'm not very good with these things and wouldn't know how to compile. :oops: :oops: But no worries.
Oh, sorry if you got confused, when I said compiler I was referring to the new TForth1.4 package with the inclusion of word ?TERMINAL that I uploaded lately. You don't need to compile it ;)
Moggy wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:28 am One thing I would like to see on any ZX Forth is floating point maths but I think that would be too difficult to implement on such a small machine.
This is perfectly possible, but as an extension pack. It's on TODO list.

The new system is being developed for use with ZXpand, so memory will not be the problem.
Moggy wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:28 am Also is it possible to implement double number subtraction ( D- as used in other Forths including 79 ) to compliment the D+ word as this would be useful?
It is also on the TODO list, meanwhile you can define D- as follows:

: D- DNEGATE D+ ;

As I said before, I do not intend to make a Forth fully compliant with the Forth-79 or Forth-83 standards, I will only use the Forth-79 as a reference. It will be a completely new system and will be allocated on the memory between 8K to 16K (like as a ROM), so I have 8Kb to implement the primary FORTH vocabulary and 16Kb for user programs. The 32K to 40K page will be used for screen buffers (low and high resolution), and block buffers. I have several ideas and I hope to be able to implement them.

And suggestions are always welcome!
1 x ZX81, 2 x TK85 , 1 TK82C, 1 TK95, 1 x Alphacom 32 printer, 1 x ZXpand
ZeXtender board, Joy81 - Programmable Joystick Controller, Turbo Sound 81
http://zx81.eu5.org
https://toddysoftware.itch.io/
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

;) And 0.5k needed for the UDG.
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Hi Kelly.

Thanks for the D- workaround and also the ?TERMINAL break routine works superbly well. :D

I look forward to everything on your TO-DO list especially the floating point package.

From a personal point of view I'm not too bothered about a UDG Forth so hopefully there will be 2 Toddy versions as there are now so everyone can be happy.

I have to say I have had a lot of reservations about Toddy, preferring to use H4th but looking at all these new features (ZXpand save and load,editor screen the call to break, a glossary etc and and hopefully floating point) and the fact it includes primitives such as TUCK NIP and ROT that some 8 bit Forths omit, I'm seriously considering Making Toddy my go to Forth package from now on.

Excellent excellent work. :ugeek:

Moggy.
mrtinb

Re: New ToddyForth with built-in editor & block storage (Was: TasWord as editor for ToddyForth)

Post by mrtinb »

In ToddyForth 1.4 the word ?TERMINAL can be defined as this:

Code: Select all

HEX
CODE ?TERMINAL
CD C, 46 C, 0F C,
C5 C,
01 C, 00 C, 00 C,
38 C, 01 C,
0B C,
NEXT
DECIMAL
Martin
Moggy

Re: New ToddyForth with built-in editor & block storage (Was: TasWord as editor for ToddyForth)

Post by Moggy »

It's already defined and works well with just three other words so no need to waste space redefining I would have thought, or is this so it can be used as a single word for break instead of three?
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Just tried this and can't get it to work even when defined with a different name so it didn't clash with the existing ?TERMINAL definition, any chance of a program example showing it working?
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Using existing ?TERMINAL definition this program works...

: TEST 1000 0 DO ?TERMINAL IF QUIT THEN I . LOOP ;

Using the redefined word which I assume has to be used singularly then it does not...

: TEST 1000 0 DO ?TERMINAL I . LOOP ;
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

Maybe the confusion is, that there exists two versions of 1.4.

First Kelly released 1.4 where ZXpand and UDG could not be used together.

After that he re-released 1.4, where ZXpand and UDG can be enabled simultaneously.

Maybe ?TERMINAL was removed in the later version, that I use. I don't know.
Martin
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Understood Martin many thanks for quick reply. :D

I think from now on Toddy is the Forth I will use as it is as complete as H4th, can be used without tape and look forward to the new additions Kelly is working on.