New ZX80 cases

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
Erm

Re: New ZX80 cases

Post by Erm »

Can't see anything new on the fb group? Has this stalled for now?
I'm Chris, a Brit in Germany (Chr$ on the QL forum). https:\\QXL.WIN < QL related collection.
bwinkel67

Post by bwinkel67 »

If not for the COVID-19 crisis I had planned to make a mold of the QL case and then create some in different colors this summer (not sure if I need to push that back since I wanted to do that at school). From what I've learned, what you need to make a mold is an original case in good shape and from that you can create silicon molds pretty quickly and then use a casting resin to pour new ones...well at least that's the plan seeing is that I've never done it before. I invested in a nice top and bottom QL case and am excited to see how it comes out. I suppose it depends on the resin gives you the appropriate material.

This was a good video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBEK_Jyfvek

...and this just reinforces it (maybe with different material):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlTuDgzhTlk
Erm

Post by Erm »

That all sounds like a fun new jazzed-up QL case. Apart from slight warping and general wear and tear, the original QL cases have held out very well.

Not so for the very fragile ZX80 enclosures made of yoghurt pot. They seem to break a lot and being white originally, they also go beige in the sun.

I wonder if the OP will ever see this and update us on his ZX80 cases, which sounded great.
I'm Chris, a Brit in Germany (Chr$ on the QL forum). https:\\QXL.WIN < QL related collection.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Not wholly correct. Only the issue one ZX80's made by Tek Electronics were "yoghurt pot" plastic, the Timex made issue 2's were made of the same ABS plastic as the ZX81 and survived just as well as the rest of the Sinclair range albeit in lesser numbers. The so called "mint" ZX80s on ebay tend to be of the later ABS variety

As for the browning effect that was down to a fire retardant in the plastic and to be honest everything from the C64 to the Amiga, Atari STe and early beige PC desktop and tower systems all suffered in the same way so not just a ZX80 thing,just more noticeable by dint of its colour.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

The fire retardant thing also effects various other items made with ABS plastic including project boxes and telephones...

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Erm

Post by Erm »

Moggy wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:59 pm Not wholly correct. Only the issue one ZX80's made by Tek Electronics were "yoghurt pot" plastic, the Timex made issue 2's were made of the same ABS plastic as the ZX81 and survived just as well as the rest of the Sinclair range albeit in lesser numbers. The so called "mint" ZX80s on ebay tend to be of the later ABS variety

As for the browning effect that was down to a fire retardant in the plastic and to be honest everything from the C64 to the Amiga, Atari STe and early beige PC desktop and tower systems all suffered in the same way so not just a ZX80 thing,just more noticeable by dint of its colour.
I know Moggy and was referring to the Iss1 yoghurt pot type. I don't have an Iss2 in the collection yet, in fact I currently have 2 Iss1's which I should probably thin down to 1!
albertusj

Post by albertusj »

I am interested and will take two at about $60 - $70 each.
ZX80/ZX81/ZX Spectrum
DamnedOne

Post by DamnedOne »

I would take 2 also.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

The interest from the Sinclair Computing forum is as follows:
  • ‪atjens (‬Anders) - I would be interested in one case.
  • ‪simmonj‬ (Jeff) - I would be interested in a UK version.
  • ‪DamnedOne‬ - Yes please! I would be interested in 2. [Atlhough you have posted here on Sinclair ZX World as well!]
  • ‪J2112Z‬ - put me down on the pre-order list for a UK model, if this project takes off - fingers crossed!
Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.