New ZX80 cases

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
jomac

New ZX80 cases

Post by jomac »

I've been working hard recently in getting together different manufacturers in order to produce an EXACT copy of the Sinclair ZX80 case, either the original, or the later injection moulded version.

This case would be commercially manufactured using the exact same plastics, trimmed and cut out using a CNC, screen printed in exactly the same way with the stickers produced and attached. When i say exact, i mean exact.!

I'm at a cross roads here, the tooling costs are very high and i want to judge if there will be enough interest for me to proceed. I have to commit to several hundred

I am hoping the final price will be around £55 posted in the UK, final price depends on the interest.

A lot of effort has gone into this, and was never intended as a commercial venture, but after discussing the idea in the FaceBook groups i was inundated with requests for more information.

Please let me have your comments and feelings or email me at jomac_uk@hotmail.com

Many thanks
1024MAK

Re: New ZX80 cases

Post by 1024MAK »

I would be interested in buying one case at £55, or in that ballpark (or lower).
If there is enough interest such that the price drops by a significant amount, I would be interested in two more cases (bringing the total to three).

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
jomac

Post by jomac »

The difficult factor here is predicting quantity, on small runs the price is X amount, if i order double, it comes down, if i order 5 times the amount, the price comes close to 50%
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

jomac wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:26 pm The difficult factor here is predicting quantity, on small runs the price is X amount, if i order double, it comes down, if i order 5 times the amount, the price comes close to 50%
Yeah, I’m aware that the order volume affects the unit cost.

Have you posted on the other Sinclair / ZX Spectrum forums?

If not, would you like me to post on World of Spectrum forum, Spectrum Computing forum and QL Forum?

I’ll also post on StarDot forum (Acorn) as a number of members there have interests in Sinclair computers.

Also, have you considered posting on the German tlienhard forum?

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Daeve

Post by Daeve »

I’d certainly be interested in one to house a replica.
Erm

Post by Erm »

I think £55 sounds ok. I'd have one for my Russian clone. Getting anything produced is a pain though isn't it, especially for such an old niche like the ZX80. You can never know how many will sell, and the last thing you want to do is make too many so that you either have to sell them for a dumping price and/or you're still sitting on them in 20 years with an extra mortgage!
I'm Chris, a Brit in Germany (Chr$ on the QL forum). https:\\QXL.WIN < QL related collection.
jomac

Post by jomac »

1024MAK wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:41 pm
jomac wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:26 pm The difficult factor here is predicting quantity, on small runs the price is X amount, if i order double, it comes down, if i order 5 times the amount, the price comes close to 50%
Yeah, I’m aware that the order volume affects the unit cost.

Have you posted on the other Sinclair / ZX Spectrum forums?

If not, would you like me to post on World of Spectrum forum, Spectrum Computing forum and QL Forum?

I’ll also post on StarDot forum (Acorn) as a number of members there have interests in Sinclair computers.

Also, have you considered posting on the German tlienhard forum?

Mark
Hello Mark, yes i would be very interested if you could post elsewhere. I've more information now. The final price will be £49.95 plus postage and there will be 4 versions of the case. Antenna hole to the left for UK etc, hole to the right for USA etc, hole in the centre for clones and one with no hole.
jomac

Post by jomac »

Erm wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:36 pm I think £55 sounds ok. I'd have one for my Russian clone. Getting anything produced is a pain though isn't it, especially for such an old niche like the ZX80. You can never know how many will sell, and the last thing you want to do is make too many so that you either have to sell them for a dumping price and/or you're still sitting on them in 20 years with an extra mortgage!
Price will be £49.95 plus postage and 4 versions will be available as explained elswhere on here.
Erm

Post by Erm »

4 versions? Can you link to where that is explained?
I'm Chris, a Brit in Germany (Chr$ on the QL forum). https:\\QXL.WIN < QL related collection.
jomac

Post by jomac »

The 4 versions are quite simple, its the hole for the antenna connector, looking from the rear, the UK etc the hole is nearest the power socket on the left, the USA version its next to the edge connector on the right. Most clones its dead centre and there will be a version available with no hole at all