The Quill (ZX81 Version) - Work in Progress

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
gus

The Quill (ZX81 Version) - Work in Progress

Post by gus »

Hi to all,
Some time ago, looking for adventures and adventures writing tools, I founded an old program called The Quill (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Quill) This program work on the Speccy and on some more powerfull computers...
I really like this program's idea, nothing new I know, but I like it so I think in making a version for the ZX81 :)

Then I take a copy of The Quill manual and start working on a new version, I do all the programming on assembly, and I have now implemented close of 80 percent of the interpreter (it needs 4072 bytes of RAM).

I do test it with a little adventure developed on The Quill manual like an example, and you can check the results.

Like I say it's a work in progress but I like to share with other ZX81 users :)
Here is a little screenshot
And of course you can find the P file on the attachment.

I hope some of you like it so we can chat about programming new adventures using the The Quill Language, and if there are some interest I will advance with the Editor programming.

Thanks,
Gus
Attachments
TheQuillZX81.rar
The Quill for the ZX81
(3.29 KiB) Downloaded 317 times
RWAP

Re: The Quill (ZX81 Version) - Work in Progress

Post by RWAP »

Porting (or re-writing) Quill would be a great achievement - there are plenty of adventures written in Quill which could be moved across, although it depends on how much memory is left for the actual adventure, once the interpreter is loaded.

Keep on with the project :-)
Thunor

Post by Thunor »

Nice work gus :)

Keep working on it.
gus

Post by gus »

Thunor wrote:Nice work gus :)

Keep working on it.
Thanks, it's good to know that someone likes the project :)

Gus
gus

Post by gus »

RWAP wrote:Porting (or re-writing) Quill would be a great achievement - there are plenty of adventures written in Quill which could be moved across, although it depends on how much memory is left for the actual adventure, once the interpreter is loaded.

Keep on with the project :-)
Hi, Thanks for your comments :)

Well, actually I'm porting an adventure called The Crystal Frog http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0006116 re-released by Gilsoft on 1985 for the Spectrum.
this is good because its a large adventure and let me test the engine :)

This adventure works on 48K Spectrum machines, so I'm testing the results on a TK85 with 48Kbytes of RAM.

I do the following in order to convert the adventure.

1) Use unquill.exe to obtain a Text File of the Adventure Database.
2) Do some minor editions on the Text File, in order to remove apostrophes or any other character that is not available on the ZX81 :)
3) I developed a small parser program on the PC that takes the Text File and generate an Include File with the Database on ASM format.
4) Finally Assemble the engine with the database on a P file

So in a future if someone like to write an adventure for the ZX81, can use a "modern" design workstation (Spectrum 48Kbyes :D ) and when the adventure is complete, I can translate it to the ZX81 in a very short time. So we can have new adventures that fit on a "standard" 16 Kbytes machine.

Gus
thewiz

Post by thewiz »

Thats great work. I had a look if doing the same for Zork would work but the files are too big. About 90k. I believe Level9 adventures used its own language too but not sure what size the adventures are. Less then 48k anyway as they are available for the spectrum.
Memotech rules
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

Quill ZX81 has been mentioned in this week's Micro Mart.

Regards,

Shaun.
gus

Post by gus »

Shaun_B wrote:Quill ZX81 has been mentioned in this week's Micro Mart.

Regards,

Shaun.
Well thats sound good, but I must say that I dont know what is Micro Mart :( can you give me some aditional info ???

Thanks Shaun !

Gus
Shaun_B

Post by Shaun_B »

gus wrote:
Shaun_B wrote:Quill ZX81 has been mentioned in this week's Micro Mart.

Regards,

Shaun.
Well thats sound good, but I must say that I dont know what is Micro Mart :( can you give me some aditional info ???

Thanks Shaun !

Gus
It's a weekly PC magazine which is published in the UK - http://www.micromart.co.uk - it has a 'retro' column, written by me, as well as Mac, Linux and Amiga (by other people).

Regards,

Shaun.
Thunor

Post by Thunor »

Shaun_B wrote:It's a weekly PC magazine which is published in the UK - http://www.micromart.co.uk - it has a 'retro' column, written by me, as well as Mac, Linux and Amiga (by other people).
I glimpsed that whilst browsing in Sainsbury's 8-) Any chance the article can be scanned in and uploaded for people outside of Britain?

I noticed too that in the latest issue 76 of Retro Gamer, Andre Baune's Bowl-AB is mentioned with a screenshot.