Hi Res version of Berzerk

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
Bukster

Hi Res version of Berzerk

Post by Bukster »

Here's a sneak peek at a hi-res version of the Berzerk game I published last year. I can see why people hate pseudo hi-res. It's not fun to work with and seriously limited with what it can do. I've managed to draw the bad guys and am working on the player graphic. As last time, the robot back and forth eyes are completely out of sync to make them look more goofy.

Here's a screenshot
Hi Berzerk1.jpg
Hi Berzerk1.jpg (9.76 KiB) Viewed 3112 times
Here a video clip with animation

https://youtu.be/XP97JzhlFAE

Any thoughts or ideas (including give up on working with pseudo hi res)?
Fruitcake

Re: Hi Res version of Berzerk

Post by Fruitcake »

It looks great!! You've done a really nice job with the graphics, working skilfully around the limitations of pseudo hi-res. :)

Horizontal movement will be challenging unless you opt for moving the sprites one character cell at a time. But I think that would work fine and would still look good.

It would be nice to have the robots move in this version, perhaps just toggling their feet up and down as they move.

And don't forget, Chroma colour can be applied to pseudo hi-res just as it can to normal res.... ;)

I hope you continue with the game.
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

With fruitcake’s tool it’s a kor easier to find the right pseudo patterns for your graphics. But you already know that. :)
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
Bukster

Post by Bukster »

Yes I have been using fruitcake's graphic program. Of course, it still comes down to working out what works best. The player is going to be the worst of them. I need a left and a right facing design that looks reasonably similar from both sides. I need to make one left and right standing and stepping, so that is going to be a challenge.

Because pseudo hi res only allows 1 character horizontal movement, I can't just draw a stickman as it won't work with collision detection properly, so the player is going to have to be blocky. I was even tossing up making him a Dalek style robot to get around some of these issues, but I'll see if I can do better.

On the plus side, this system takes less time to process than translating each lo res sector into a graphic character so moving the robots and having more than one robot bullet might be possible without too much slowdown.

I was going to try an make it chroma compatible. Good to know it is possible in hi-res. The priority at the moment is to get the basic game elements to work.
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

Might also just use WRX graphics which all current RAM expansion supports. And old RAM expansions can be modified with few diodes.
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube