do we still use UHF modulators ?

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81

Should a new ULA be able to drive the UHF modulator ?

Yes. I like a wavy image.
31%
No. Composite only is fine.
69%

Total votes: 16

Andy Rea

Re: do we still use UHF modulators ?

Post by Andy Rea »

McKlaud wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:46 pm Has anyone got any schematic diagram or datasheet of the UM1233 modulator? I would appreciate if you could share it, please.
this may be of use... liberal use of google translate may be needed...

http://www.ep128.hu/Sp_Hardware/SP_Modulator.htm

EDIT: i can't find the webpage now but... i have it wrote down voltages for the modulator should be approx...

2.55v sync, 2.85v black / porch and 3.3v full white ( note not quite 1v p - p ) howevere good enough to still give a good signal when fed into a composite input ( may need dc blocking capacitor, depends on your monitor )
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
McKlaud

Post by McKlaud »

Thanks Andy. I did more searching in a few places including forgotten folders on my hard drive and I've found it. :geek:
Attachments
UM1233E36.zip
(1.63 MiB) Downloaded 224 times
Claudius
----------
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

Thanks for the PDF's now i have some definitive voltages to work with, the ones i had weren't that far off :lol:

Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
RetroTechie

Post by RetroTechie »

Looks like close to standard composite voltage levels the modulator wants, apart from a DC bias (say, series capacitor or so?). Sadly there's no info on typical input impedance for that modulator. :?:
Lardo Boffin wrote:it does mean that broken zeddies which are not comp modded won’t be fixable with this ULA (..)
Quite possible a replacement ULA could easily provide a good signal for the modulator. Perhaps both that and composite out. Thing is, with my ULA I never even tried...

Why not? For any ZX81 in unknown condition (with Sinclair ULA), a composite mod would be among (my) first actions, because it takes the modulator out of the equation. If the modulator was broken, then that's a fix using a transistor, resistor & capacitor. If it wasn't broken: picture output improved. Regardless of condition of the rest of the machine: win-win. :D

In case of repair with a replacement ULA, the only mod needed is to wire the modulator's input directly to the RCA connector. Even easier than the composite mod.

And for "keep as original as possible" purists: when you replace the ULA with a CPLD based non-Sinclair part, then fuzzing over a wire mod inside the modulator can is kind of silly. Make it easy to reverse in case you'd ever consider putting a Sinclair ULA back in. Not to mention 'needing' a VHF/UHF output in the year 2018. :lol:
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

I have two new modulators here just for the case or maybe I got a collector over the time. 8-) :mrgreen:
Composite is sufficient and if needed I can upshift the signal myself.
McKlaud

Post by McKlaud »

PokeMon wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:48 pm I have two new modulators here just for the case or maybe I got a collector over the time. 8-) :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: if you did wait another 37years, yes definitely it would be worth a fortune in "Antique Roadshow" :mrgreen:
Claudius
----------
krowne

Post by krowne »

Absolutely no point in catering for CRT for me it's LCD all the way.
Brian
BarryN

Post by BarryN »

Most TVs still support an analog RF signal, and I use use an old black and white TV on VHF with my Timex Sinclair 1000. Anyway, it would be nice for a replacement ULA to be a drop in replacement and not require any other modifications.