ZXblast - ZX81 memory extension plus USB

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
mrtinb

Re: ZXblast - ZX81 memory extension plus USB

Post by mrtinb »

Video of failed update: https://youtu.be/VSX_gB1t6q4
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
Fwapp

Post by Fwapp »

PokeMon wrote:
Fwapp wrote: Does the 5V/USB jumper need to be inplace?
If you need power for your USB flash media device, yes. ;)
If you have a self powered or battery stick or something, you could remove it.
The main reason for this jumper was to cut the 5V when connecting it to a PC/host to do some weird things.
But no plans for this, just an option and not expensive.
Ta - I was wondering if it might have had an impact on Martin's problem :)
ZX80, ZX81 - 2C158C Bugged Rom iss.1, 2C158C "kludge fix" iss1, 2C184E iss1, 2C210E iss3, US NTSC iss1 "straight traces", US NTSC iss3 TS1000
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

PokeMon wrote:I suspect there may be something gone wrong when installing the flash loader on the USB chip which is used internal. I have to check if there is any workaround for that. Can be reprogrammed with a usb/serial cable/programmer device through the 5 pin connector, normally not soldered. Let me think what can be done.
Maybe I can program it with my Arduino and JTAGWhisperer
Martin
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

I don't think so.
It is not a CPLD or FPGA with a standard JTAG interface.

For the FTDI tools a Debugger interface is required which is not so expensive (15 EUR about) but not easy to get work as the default WIN software will handle this as a normal USB serial interface and the driver has to be replaced. And I think this is a single user phenomena as the firmware loader is probably not installed correctly when setting up the interface.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documen ... Module.pdf

The firmware loader has to be programmed first and after updates via USB are possible. I think this failed at your device and I have to test this out when shipping ZXblast next time. There is a possibly bug in detecting the USB chips when running the very first device with programming. That is why it happened to you only (shipped a series of 5 devices last week).

So my proposal is that I sent you a new build up ZXblast and you return your ZXblast when you received it. I would do this in a week or so with the new release with the file manager, so nothing for you to install, just change it against the new one. So you will get a new ZXblast with release 1.1 (USB release will be 2.1). In the meanwhile you can use it for loading software only - sorry for that. ;)
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

PokeMon wrote:So my proposal is that I sent you a new build up ZXblast and you return your ZXblast when you received it. I would do this in a week or so with the new release with the file manager, so nothing for you to install, just change it against the new one. So you will get a new ZXblast with release 1.1 (USB release will be 2.1). In the meanwhile you can use it for loading software only - sorry for that. ;)
Sounds like the best solution. Is't ok!
Martin
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

Here is an updated instruction manual - nothing spectacular changes but some more details about putting the connectors in the right way and a few more pictures inside. Will put an additional user manual together this weekend and post it here, too.
ZXblast-ConstructionKit_V11.pdf
(1.58 MiB) Downloaded 212 times
By the way - ZXblast is available with ZX extender board only as the direct ZX connector does not suit with a standard ZX81 due to space requirements. ;)
Jose_Leandro

Post by Jose_Leandro »

Hi

Mine has come today :-)

I solder it without problems (thanks for send it with smd chip soldered) . In my case, like I think i'll never put another interface, I've used a old zx spectrum connector with long pins ( to avoid space problem within zx81 and zxblast).

zx81 with zxblast starts at first time (nice) and clock works well (after configure it).

Load a program.p file take me more time. (Sorry If I don't understand well the documentation)

From main screen I try with press T (tools) -> L (load) ->program .p -> zx81 seen to load something and then the main screen appear again -> ???

But If I am in main screen -> 1 zx81 -> zx81 starts with K cursor -> then press shift + shift + L shows the load screen ->L(load) -> program.p -> It load program Immediately :D :D

Fantastic job PokeMon :-)

José Leandro
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

Yes - you got it.
You have to call the loader from the desired instance with double shift L.
I am working on the documentation (user manual), hope to upload it tomorrow here.
First I wrote a nice tool for generating screen shots which can be taken from the EightyOne as screen hardcopy.

The loader from the main screen is used for special purposes like updating USB driver or programming the flash rom. It is indeed possible to load a program file to ZX81 as well, I think. Then you have to load file at address $4009 in foreign instance but not sure if this works for all programs. Plain BASIC should work, I think.

After you have to go back and type RUN.
Jose_Leandro

Post by Jose_Leandro »

Hi

Another question.

I test zxblast with a zx81 and a TS1000 without modifications. It works well with both machines using CRT tv an a small LCD tv

But

Boring about video quality, I made simple composite video mod ( bc548 transistor ) to my zx81. With CRT tv, now I have what I want but with a small LCD tv, the image blinks with zxblast until I tell zx81 goes to zx81 mode (blinks disappear).

The blinks returns when , for example, I load a program and zxblast takes control of zx81. When zxblast load the program and return to normal mode, the program I load run witout problems

Any Idea?

Bye

José Leandro
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

I've tried the WRX version of Nuclear Invaders (download).

WRX works fine with ZXblast, but the keyboard keys won't work with or without external keyboard attached in this game.

I don't have a rampack that supports WRX except ZXblast.

Can anyone else test this game with WRX rampack and again with ZXblast, to see whether it is ZXblast that is the problem?
Martin