ZXblast - ZX81 memory extension plus USB

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
Andy Rea

Re: ZXblast - ZX81 memory extension plus USB

Post by Andy Rea »

mrtinb wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 10:54 pm I have not have any luck loading data to RAM in this area, due to the bug.
something i have not tried,
I have however had luck with:
  • Loading to ROM in that area e.g. UDG chars
  • Just setting it to RAM, and software that loads in 16-32k relocates itself to area 8-16k
yes i can load data into the Flash rom and access it ok.

when set to ram every byte reads as 255 , writting to it has no effect and it still returns 255 when read
Rumors says that the bug is found and is fixed in the next firmware version. No indication when that will be though.
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

I have however had trouble that the area shifts from RAM to ROM automatically. Sometimes I have to set it for RAM, and try again. If it fails the set to RAM again and try again. Sometimes even if the configuration screen lists this area as RAM, I change it to ROM and back to RAM, to be sure it is selected as RAM.
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

Has anyone tried to have ZXblast and ZXpand connected at the same time. Can they coexist?
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
metalh4mster

Post by metalh4mster »

Hi there, how are you? I'm one of those lucky users that bought a ZXBlast a couple of years ago ;)

Since that time, I've been trying to figure out how I might upgrade the CPLD to the final version. Is there any way to do that without the need of a CPLD shipment? I've seen that the board has a USB Program pinout/socket, that might work with a JTAG/Based Programmer (with the Altera USB Blaster). I don't have experience working in this manner (I just have the typical makeshift EEPROM Programmer for other purposes).

If further information might be provided, it could be a great time to upgrade the User Manual with the procedure, if possible. I will also try to reach PokeMon for further instructions. Thanks to everyone for your patience! :)
Last edited by metalh4mster on Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

A new version of ZXblast is planned during this (maybe cold) winter.
Winter is coming. :mrgreen:
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Given the 18.9mm of rain (in the last 24 hours) and the electrical/lightening storm that happened in my area last night, I would say winter is already here :lol:

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
nollkolltroll

Post by nollkolltroll »

PokeMon wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:21 pm A new version of ZXblast is planned during this (maybe cold) winter.
Is that a new hw version, upgraded hw (cpld) or new fw?
/Adam
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

It is planned to upgrade hardware (CPLD) and software.
nollkolltroll

Post by nollkolltroll »

Sounds good, so all of us with the "old" zxblast will be able to upgrade somehow? Can't wait to see your progress regardless.
/Adam
metalh4mster

Post by metalh4mster »

PokeMon wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:21 pm A new version of ZXblast is planned during this (maybe cold) winter.
Thank you PokeMon, I will wait for the next release: I guess that to jump from v1.0 to v1.[1+] will require to rely on a shipment of a new batch of EEPROMs/CPLD. I will stay put, winter comes! ;)