ZXmore - infos & updates

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
PokeMon

Re: ZXmore - infos & updates

Post by PokeMon »

Now I continue with ZXmore V2 and solved the minor problems with clock switching and video output. There are still some more things to solve like high resolution graphics under some circumstances and some more software tests to pass. I will report soon here about progress. ;)
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

Okay - all problems are solved now with ZXmore V2 so far and I think I will put this at sellmyretro at the weekend and update the documentation. And I will do a latest price calculation but think it will get cheaper than the first ones as some rarely used components are left out like the MIC and EAR socket, the hex rotary switch and a few less chips and sockets.

It is fully software compatible with ZXmore V1 and has the option to be run at 8 MHz (instead just 6.5). This is nearly 25% faster than before and CLCKFREQ.p should give now 320% instead of 260%. I could not test it out now as the ZXmaster software is quite timing sensitive and shows some strange effects but when an instance is run alone I could easily switch between 3.25, 6.5 and 8.0 MHz. This way it is hard to load CLCKFREQ.p for me but tested the clock switching with OUT instructions using PowerBasic from Matthias Swatosch. ;)

So the speed feature comes a bit later with the next ZXmaster (=ZXmore control software) release this summer. This time I work on the CP/M implementation as well. So not sure but there could be some release steps published during summer. Clock switching by the way is easy with synchronized clocks, for example between 6.5 MHz and 3.25 MHz derived from the 6.5 MHz clock. But the third clock is coming from the USB controller chip which is totally free running. The implementation is not that easy and took some logic cells.

So stay tuned, both versions will come now, the assembly kits and the completed (soldered and tested) ZXmore as well on your choice. 8-)

By the way - I need some mordant to remove the stop mask accidently printed over the tactile switch contacts. Using the Dremel is quite time consuming. :?
Last edited by PokeMon on Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

nollkolltroll wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 6:37 pm 8MHz sounds really interesting! Possibility to run higher resolution, or more border to do more complex calcs for each line :D
So - higher resolution will not be supported as this would require hardware and software changes for the timings. But there is of course more clock cycles per top and bottom margin to use.
nollkolltroll

Post by nollkolltroll »

PokeMon wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:21 pm So - higher resolution will not be supported as this would require hardware and software changes for the timings. But there is of course more clock cycles per top and bottom margin to use.
I fully understand that it would require some extreme changes, it would not really be a ZX81 any more. But: I am still thinking about what could be done that is still close to the original. A ZX82++ kind of computer :)
/Adam
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

So the last bug removed - was a timing issue when doing instance backup files (or system backup files) and restoring data. This is solved now. I did the calculation today and price is a bit down (about 15 EUR or 15-20%).

The construction kit for self soldering would be EUR 79.90 including the keyboard membrane and tactile switches.
The completed version (and tested) would be EUR 99.90 - so ready to be used.

The power supply is not included, could be any 9-12V and 500mA and the Sinclair PSU does as well (plug compatible).
The ZXmore itself need only 100mA but the power consumption of USB flash sticks is additional and may vary.

The completed version will be listed tomorrow. Will take some nice pictures with daylight sun. 8-)
The construction kit follows a few days later as I have to update the construction kit.
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

So the first 3 ZXmore (completed) are available now for sale on SMR. 8-)
Construction kit will follow.

http://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/details/11719

20170616_141215k.jpg
(297.13 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
tdg8934

Post by tdg8934 »

Just bought the 1st assembled one. 2 left...

Thanks!
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Beautiful work as always, Karl!
tdg8934

Post by tdg8934 »

Karl,

How rock solid is the output on ZXmore? Any distortion. I purchased an FPGA MIST where I can get other platform cores to work (Amiga, C64, Atari, etc) except ZX81 which gives me a blank screen when using the ZX01 (ZX81) core. Might be a VGA monitor issue but other cores work fine.

Anyway, I am excited about receiving ZXmore & ZXmaster firmware and have purchased a composite video to VGA adapter on Amazon to have it work with my monitor. I'm assuming there is no HDMI output on ZXmore (just composite video).
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

Yes - it provides only composite video. This is stable, don't know about MISt issues with ZX81.