Anyone with a ZX80?

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
nollkolltroll

Re: Anyone with a ZX80?

Post by nollkolltroll »

A thought: a zx80 rom and disabling nmi on a zx81, would that be 100% compatible? Or just a bit?
/Adam
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Forgive my lack of photographic skills hope this helps. :)

The tips of the bars are just visible in the darker pics but don't actually move unlike your first attempt in which the screen was still dark but the bars moving.
Attachments
vbarpics.rar
(3.61 MiB) Downloaded 125 times
Paul

Post by Paul »

nollkolltroll wrote:A thought: a zx80 rom and disabling nmi on a zx81, would that be 100% compatible? Or just a bit?
It would be 100% compatible.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
nollkolltroll

Post by nollkolltroll »

I found some encouraging artcles regarding downgrading a zx81 to something that is zx80-compatible, so that is my next step. That should help me debug what is going on.
/Adam
Paul

Post by Paul »

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
nollkolltroll

Post by nollkolltroll »

I've had a good look at the ZX80 schematic and understood more about its operation. Since it does not have a 207-counter, the hsync is not self-generated, but must be done in SW. My code does not do that, I assumed the hsync worked like on the ZX81.
So: I will try to do a SW-generated hsync and see if it works.
AND: a downgraded ZX81 is NOT 100% ZX80 compatible in this sense. The ULA will always generate hsyncs regardless of the NMI signal going to the CPU or not. EightyOne also generates hsyncs automatically, so its ZX80-mode is more like a downgraded ZX81. That's why my demo works in EO.
/Adam
Paul

Post by Paul »

Very good point.
We could try to fix this in EO.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

I too have a downgraded ZX81 using this method.
The only problem I had was that when powering up it took several "on and offs" of the power supply to get it to boot up. I solved it by fitting a reset switch to the CPU as per the ZX spectrum and now it boots perfectly after every press. possibly needing a fully discharged CPU capacitor to get the timing right I suppose?
Paul

Post by Paul »

This shouldn't be the case.
The resistors should deactivate the nmi on boot.
Is it still the original capacitor in the reset circuit? Maybe it's dry?
kind regards Paul
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Paul wrote:This shouldn't be the case.
The resistors should deactivate the nmi on boot.
Is it still the original capacitor in the reset circuit? Maybe it's dry?
kind regards Paul
Thanks Paul I will replace capacitor. Why didn't I think of that? :oops:

I have to say it's inexpensive way to have a ZX80, a few resistors and, in my case, a 2764 eprom and instant ZX80.
One thing I haven't done is try it with the ZXpand so that will be my next project!