Hi-speed loadings for zx81

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
yerzmyey

Re: Hi-speed loadings for zx81

Post by yerzmyey »

Probably so, but regular convertor would be OK. I don't get this whole idea of making "projects", like in AVI convertors.
And I just wanna make WAV from P, nothing more.
K7ZX was a brilliant util. Easy to use.
Inlike this one.
IN NIHILUM REVERTERIS - a big text-adventure game for ZX81: http://tiny.pl/g2m6m
"MONOCHROME" issue 5 - (Spring 2014) free paper/PDF magazine about ZX81: http://tiny.pl/q2m44
ZX81 COMPETITIONS 2007/2009: http://zx81.republika.pl/
gus

Post by gus »

Hi decicoder (Francisco ?)

I try to convert my version of The Crystal Frog to O.T.L.A. format and It works very fine on the EO emulator.
This Weekend I will try it on the real hardware and the I will share here the results :)

Thanks for your really great work !!!

Gus

P.D. I choose 16K Model but in reality my game es for 32K configuration, nothing to say It works !!!

gus

Post by gus »

Hi to All :)

This Saturday I connect my Timex Sinclair 1500 and try to high speed load some programs with the O.T.L.A. but I do not have good results... :( in fact I can't load any program...
The I try the Adjust Test Tool, I saw the numbers but I can't make the second number of the first row close to zero, in fact if I change minimally the volume the number changes a lot (from -127 to 53 by example)...
I do test witha volume thta let me load on the first try any program on normal speed.
I asking for some tricks if anyone have better luck.
The O.T.L.A. looks very very interesting to me, so I like to make it work :) next time I will try with a TK85, because I know that Kelly (an brasilian TK fan) use it with very good results...

Gus
XavSnap

Post by XavSnap »

Hi Gus,

You may had to put a sound ampliphier beatween the computer and the Zx81 input.
(like a ampliphied-speeker)
The screen must become black, and little withe lines had to be displayed on the screen.
And DON'T FORGET TO REINIT THE 48k RAM PACK BEFORE LOADING THE OTLA HEADER !
:D :D :D :D

Note: What about the Xur Wav ... ( avoid to use mp3 format !)
Have Fun...
Xavier ...on the Facebook groupe : "Zx81 France"(fr)
XavSnap

Post by XavSnap »

Hi,
In VB81 XuR, just type SAVE"myprog.FL"
More Fast-Load infos:
Fr:
En:
Last edited by XavSnap on Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xavier ...on the Facebook groupe : "Zx81 France"(fr)
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

Well i'll be blowed if i can get it to work on a real zeddy :(

work on eightyone, but i've spent about 4 hours messing around trying this trying that, even with the tool to set volume i was consistantly getting between -8 + 8 but still no go when trying to load programs for real.

Oh hum... just as well i have ZXpand :lol:

Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
zx80nut

Post by zx80nut »

Hi.
I hope it can work, but I am a bit confused as to how it would work.
It appears from the web page that two levels of signal are generated. However, the ZX80/81 can only handle a single trigger threshold voltage (that is, the "TTL" threshold), so anything below it would be ignored.

Any ideas?

Grant.
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

Oh i read it like it was a phase difference thing, and since a phase polarity (which i tried both ways round) seems to be important too i'm going with that.

however i fear that if is is possible, reliably then it would have been thought of and used by the big software companies back in the hay day.

Andy.

maybe 7.5kbs is a bit ambitious, 3kbs would be a tenfold improvement over the original.

what computer system of days gone by had the quickest default loading speeds anyway ?

Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
Prime

Post by Prime »

Andy Rea wrote: what computer system of days gone by had the quickest default loading speeds anyway ?
I think most of them where arounf 1200bps, ciatainly the Dragon / CoCo and the Beeb / Master / Electron.

The slowcoaches of course where the ZX80/81, the Acorn Atom and the Commodore Vic 20 / 64 all of which IIRC where around 300bps.

Of course with only 16K of memory 300bps is not too bad, but I remember the C64 version of manic miner taking something like 20 minutes to load.....

Cheers.

Phill.
siggi

Post by siggi »

Andy Rea wrote: however i fear that if is is possible, reliably then it would have been thought of and used by the big software companies back in the hay day.
There WERE reliable fast loader programs, e. g. SUPERTAPE, which war made for several computers (ZX81, Speccy, C64, VC20, ORIC, ..). The ZX81 version is there:http://tlienhard.com/zx81/supertape.pdf

I used SUPERTAPE for several years to load my games ;)

See also : viewtopic.php?p=900

Siggi
My ZX81 web-server: online since 2007, running since dec. 2020 using ZeddyNet hardware
http://zx81.ddns.net/ZxTeaM