Time traveling with the TS 1000

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
Bill H

Time traveling with the TS 1000

Post by Bill H »

Hi guys

For the past few years I have had this idea in my head of what I wanted to do with the TS 1000 and now I finally have the time I am going to use it as a time machine.

Starting next month I am going to look at one issue a month of Compute! (US computer magazine from the 80's) starting with November of 1981 and I am going to translate any basic programs or games they had in the magazine articles to run on a stock 16k TS 1000, just as if I was 16 again. Compute! magazine used to have versions of every game or utility listing they had for a number of systems, Apple ][, Atari 400/800, Commodore 64 & Vic 20, TRS-80 Model 1 (3) and Texas Instruments 99/4a. Towards the end of 83 they had a few TS 1000 listings but the market was changing and they started dropping smaller systems and only doing systems with 64kb or more ram and disc drives.

I will use an emulator because I do not feel like digging in the closet for all the parts but that is irrelevant. I'll use EO and save them as P files. I'll be sure to not use any special graphics modes or additional hardware, only what was available at the local K-Mart when I purchased my first computer, TS 1000, TS1016 and a tape deck.

It should be a nice trip down memory lane and as I complete each I'll post them here or somewhere along with the relevant article form the magazine.

Bill H

P.S. I am sure someone somewhere already did a lot of conversions of the programs - I am not going to look. They didn't have the internet in 1981 and I didn't have a modem for the Ts 1000 to connect to Compuserve or Dow Jones (old school - pre AOL) so I wouldn't have been able to look then, so I can't look now :)
iturbez

Re: Time traveling with the TS 1000

Post by iturbez »

Good idea!
We´ll be waiting for this nice job!
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

Whilst you're in the 80s, how about placing an advert for the ZXpand ?

Actually it sounds a good project - would be interesting to see what programs there are out there...
TMAOne

Post by TMAOne »

Awesome project!

To truly go back in time, you'd have to use the membrane keyboard and have vintage Dr. Who playing in the background. :D

Let me save you some typing. Back in the day someone flipped me a copy of the Compute! July 1983 listing for a game called Fortress of Adnil, which I laboriously typed in on the membrane keyboard and saved. Here it is below. There were a couple of typos in the listing, but other than that I have changed nothing; it is true to the magazine's original presentation.

That being said, it is not a particularly interesting game, and I'm afraid I was a little disappointed after doing all that work!

Best of luck in your endeavors,
Ian
Attachments
ADNIL.P
(8.11 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
swensont

Post by swensont »

"Compute!" did cover the T/S 1000 occasionally, but the two main Sinclair magazines in the US were "Sync" and "Timex/Sinclair User." I have a number of issues of both (maybe all of T/S User) and am in the process of scanning them in for archival purposes. I have done three issues of both magazines. In these magazines, there is a fair bit of code to type in, in both magazines. When I'm done, I'll make the scans available some place.
oscar

Post by oscar »

swensont wrote:When I'm done, I'll make the scans available some place.
An excellent site would be https://archive.org/details/computermagazines

I've spent many a megabyte downloading old magazines from there :)
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Great link oscar!

Just spent a happy afternoon looking through the Sync magazine archive.
Looking through the classified ads I was amazed at the amount of add-ons the Americans had for the Zeddy.

Moggy.