ZX Printer Belt

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
1024MAK

Re: ZX Printer Belt

Post by 1024MAK »

McKlaud wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 5:05 pm They look great! Unfortunately my ZX Printer has got a cooked ULA and no replaced available :(
I got a ZX Printer in 'kit' form (taken apart to find out what the problem was many years ago and then just stored). If I can find the box that it is in, you're welcome to the PCB from it for just the price of postage. Or indeed all the bits. I do have to find it first, and that may take a while. Note that as I received the printer as part of a bundle, I don't know if the ULA on the board is in working condition or not.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
McKlaud

Post by McKlaud »

Mark, much appreciated. Anything (any parts) for ZX Printer are welcome.
Claudius
----------
mhudson52

Post by mhudson52 »

For all who are interested, here are the .STL files for the ZXprinter belt. One file is the original design that includes the two posts that hold the styli onto the belt. The tops of the posts can be gently melted down to secure the stylus.

The other design file does not include the posts, and the styli will need to be secured by using a pin (.027") with a rounded head on top.

Flexible filament such as TPU will need to be used in printing, and with 3D printers being so commonplace getting a belt printed should not be that difficult.

Regards,

Mike
TS 1000 bought in 1982 and brought back to life by Sir Ian
MaFli

Post by MaFli »

mhudson52 wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 3:13 am For all who are interested, here are the .STL files for the ZXprinter belt. One file is the original design that includes the two posts that hold the styli onto the belt. The tops of the posts can be gently melted down to secure the stylus.
Mike, job well done! Haven't been around for a while, but picked up my Sinclair addiction again. Found my old ZX Printer in the attic and surprisingly, it is still working. Question is for how long... So I plan to make a spare belt, just in case this one snaps. But the files you have attached seem to have gone. I did find the original one without the posts for the styli. Could you post them again? Much appreciated.

I just got a roll of nGen Flex which is fairly rigid (Shore 95A). So I think this material could do the job.

Cheers, Marcel
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

It looks like either there was a problem with the upload of the attachments, the forum rejected them, or Mike forgot to attach them.

@Mike, could you please upload them again...

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
mhudson52

Post by mhudson52 »

Mark/Marcel,

Please tell me if I am being needlessly paranoid, selfish, or whatever. This is a project that I have been pursuing for the last several months and have put a ton (tonne?) of time and energy into. It was inspired by my reading 10+ year-old threads about how so many people would love to have a replacement belt to revive their old ZX printers, but no one had come up with a solution. I also received a huge amount of help and info from great guys like yourselves, without which the whole thing would have been a no-go.

The other day on Facebook a user posted a link to a video showing a guy playing with a printer belt made with TPU filament (what I am using). The poster claimed that a friend of his made the belt several months earlier, well before I had posted the .STL files. I call BS. No way. It looked exactly like the file I posted. I had posted the files not expecting there to be a huge demand for the belt, but recent postings have indicated that I was underestimating the demand. So, I pulled the files until I could think the whole thing out.

Forgive me if I've put you to sleep. So here is my dilemma. I would like to be modestly compensated for my efforts, but I'm not greedy. I would also like to reward you guys who have made all the difference by letting you have one at no cost. Rich Mellor has graciously volunteered to resell them on his SMR site in order to keep the cost down. It costs me $16 USD to ship across the pond, but only a couple of dollars for him to ship to UK and EU. The selling price for the belt with the two styli is $15, which I think is totally reasonable.

I am open to suggestions. Thanks, guys.

Mike
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Hey, Mike, if you prefer to sell them, then I don’t have a problem with that. Especially as most people don’t have 3D printers.

I only ask that you post a reply to say that.

If you would like me to tidy the thread and edit any posts, let me know.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
Paul

Post by Paul »

Owning a 3d Printer I am one of the guys who would have been trying to build one myself.
But experimenting with settings of the printers like temperature, speed, resolutions, material etc. is very time consuming and if I can buy a belt I will definitely prefer that.
Can all this wait until the Brexit decision is made finally made? A hard Brexit would affect Rich Mellor's sales significantly.
I also stick to his platform and hope everything develops well but the seller should be part of the European market for tax reasons. Which means Americans shouldn't be the final seller in Europe.

Kind regards Paul
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
mhudson52

Post by mhudson52 »

Hey Mark, no worries about your posts.

As soon as Will gives me a test report on the belt with styli I sent, then the rest will follow from there. I'm 99.99% certain it will be fine, just need that added assurance since the Fleabay printer I purchased turned out to be a dud. At least it had a 30-day return.

As far as waiting until Brexit is done, I don't think that will necessary. Once word gets out that they are available, most likely 90% of the sales will be well before then, but I could be wrong.

Mike
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Err, Mike, I was referring to me as a moderator editing any posts in the thread, not just about me editing my own posts...

But if you are happy, then no problem :D

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!