ZX80 Core - new ZX80 motherboards

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
balford

Re: ZX80 Core - new ZX80 motherboards

Post by balford »

Ok, attaching pin 6 of IC6 to GND still gave 1.4V on reset.

Removing the ROM results in a clean /RESET signal. So it's in this area that the problem must lie.

I'll continue to investigate, enjoy your holiday and again many thanks for the help :)

Edit: Found that Pin 19/D7 on the ROM is the culprit (shorted to /CLK). Just need to find the location of the short...

B
balford

Post by balford »

Smoking gun found...

(larger version: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7345/1127 ... ed83_k.jpg)

The trace running just below C10 seems to have a manufacturing fault in that it's broken and shorted to the positive leg of C10 itself. This would explain the odd reset behaviour...

Now, next step is to fix it :) Would anyone have the best advice as to how to fix it? I'm used to repairing broken tracks on non-masked boards such as the ZX81/Spectrum, but haven't tried one of these before...

B
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Well done on locating the cause of the problem :)

As the tracks on the ZX80CORE boards are very fine, I would suggest that you replace the trace by running a thin insulated wire to completely by-pass the trace on the underside of the board. Ideally run it from a pad to a pad, if not use a via.

Mark

PS If you cannot work out where it runs, I can have a look at my (still) unpopulated board tomorrow.
PPS Don't forget to cut the shorted part of the track with a sharp knife ;)
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
balford

Post by balford »

Ok, short to C10 cut and, given that the errant trace is the D7 line, it looks like the termination point for the trace is the left side of R9. So one very quick patch wire later....

It's Alive.....!

More debugging tomorrow (haven't checked the keyboard nor entered a program yet), a celebratory G&T is in order tonight :)

Thank you Mark and Pokemon, you've both been of massive help!

B
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

As Mr. Burns would say:

Excellent.. Excellent!!
inaki

Post by inaki »

balford, so how many shorts did you find in the PCB ?

inaki.
balford

Post by balford »

Just two - first between /CLK and GND on the edge connector, and then the malformed track routing D7 to C10.

To be fair, PokeMon does advise that the tinned portions of the board be inspected thoroughly for shorts. I just forgot to check the edge connector for about a day or so :)

The malformed track issue seems to me to be a complete fluke, I've just been very unlucky I would imagine. However looking back, I've learned much more about the workings of the ZX80 this way. It's no fun if it's easy, right? ;)

B
inaki

Post by inaki »

Of course, I am not interested in machines that work at first try!
Said this, I do not like these opaque soldering mask. I prefer the transparent ones.

inaki.
PokeMon

Post by PokeMon »

balford wrote:The malformed track issue seems to me to be a complete fluke, I've just been very unlucky I would imagine. However looking back, I've learned much more about the workings of the ZX80 this way. It's no fun if it's easy, right? ;)

B
Well I am surprised as well - and I think I can view in on your picture you posted.
It seems to be a small short on the top layer between the wire (marked red/blue in the attached picture) and the right (+) pin of C10 (reset line).
I am not sure how this could happen as it is covered with white paint.
Maybe a failure when the boards have been exposured and acid-treated after. :shock:

I am glad you found it and your board is hopefully working now.
Attachments
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg (90.89 KiB) Viewed 3664 times
balford

Post by balford »

Hi Pokemon,

Yes, everything is fully working now, and I've had a few good days of use so far. Delighted with the end result :)

Also, I'd like to put my name down for a ZX80NMIX when they're available if that's okay.

Thanks again!
B