ZX80/81 Paper Magazine

Any discussions related to the creation of new hardware or software for the ZX80 or ZX81
ZXUser

ZX80/81 Paper Magazine

Post by ZXUser »

Hi all, I'm new to the forums. I am an enthusiast of the Sinclair machines, and old things in general. I was reading some Dragon 32 "fanzies," and it inspired me to try and produce my own magazine. I was going to publish it on a real ZX81, but I didn't think it was readable enough, all capital monochrome makes my eyes a bit sore. And so, I would like to publish a typed up magazine, and I was wondering what the interest would be. I would like to see people contribute a few articles, or some programs, or indeed some news items. Would anyone be interested in ordering a copy? I think 60p would cover photocopying and postage costs. What do you think about this? Or is nobody interested? By the way, if you have any letters or adverts you would like published in the first issue, would you post them here?
Thanks,
Sonny.
sirmorris

Re: ZX80/81 Paper Magazine

Post by sirmorris »

Hi Sonny, welcome aboard!

It's always fantastic to see new enthusiasm brought to the 'scene' :D

There have been a number of issues of a magazine produced by a good friend of the forums Yerzmyey. Back issues of 'Monochrome' are available on paper for some nominal cost from SellMyRetro and I believe that PDFs are available - you can search older posts and find out where to get these from.

C
ZXUser

Post by ZXUser »

They're great magazines - I was refering to them when I said 'all capital monochrome.' I also think having them typed (on a real mechanical typewriter BTW) would give it a more 80s fanzine feel. Could anyone string together a few sentences for the letters page?
Thanks
ZXUser

Post by ZXUser »

Almost done! I just need a letter to complete the letters page, and a few adverts. The contents so far:
Editorial;
ZX News;
A new series: How to Write Graphical Adventures;
Software Reviews;
Listings of 'Play Your Cards Right' and '1K Plague';
Listing Reviews;
Inside a New ZX Software House;
ZX Answers!

Now please, someone pick a few words for me to write on the letters page! Whoever does will get a free tape with the magazine listings on!

Sonny
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Welcome on board Sonny!

:D :D :D

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
ZXUser

Post by ZXUser »

That will be on the letters page, and you will get a copy of the mag, and a tape with two BASIC 'masterpieces.'
PM me your address so I can send them off to you.
Hooray! Almost done!
Just need some adverts....
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Ah, I could write something, but am currently trying to get all the TV's (and other digital receivers, all 7 of them) updated (retuned) as the broadcast transmitter in our area has just had it's digital TV set-up changed. Now all the TV's need to be retuned. Not a problem for the more modern sets, but a pain for the older receivers. As I have a computer (eBox) that has TV tuners as well, I am updating the software (Windows) at the same time.

Anyway, you may find this interesting viewtopic.php?f=10&t=931

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

ZXUser wrote:Just need some adverts....
you got one!
ZXUser

Post by ZXUser »

Oohh! Digital TV! Work of the devil! Let the beeb be a monopoly! One channel..... B&W....mmm...
Sorry, I have a, ermm..., fixation? with old TV.

Sonny
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Have just finished sorting out all the retuning! The eBox (with the Microsoft MediaCentre) as always took the longest... :roll:

TBH, it was a lot quicker when it was manual tuning (before Channel 5 came along on "channels" 35 and 37).

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs

There are four lights!