Atlantis FOUND

General games-related topics
angus

Atlantis FOUND

Post by angus »

Hey guys,

I had the chance to raid my mum's attic over Christmas and I found a few old tapes with ZX81 stuff recorded on them. I have now found the game Atlantis although it doesn't seem to have the intro I remember. I've attached a photo does anyone remember this? Anyone know who wrote/published it?

I also have an unloadable program due to a dropout just after the 'header'. I'm posting a link to a WAV file to see if any of you clever bods can do something with it. I have no idea what this program might be so it could be a rarity or might be something very common...but it would be great to find out!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/n_gulliver/TDK%20D%201.wav
is the link to the wav.

Merry Christmas and happy new year to all!
Attachments
atlantis.JPG
atlantis.JPG (22.41 KiB) Viewed 17080 times
sirmorris

Re: Atlantis FOUND

Post by sirmorris »

Howdy,

I'm having no luck with trying to convert this. There are a couple of tricks up my sleeve but I might ask for another rip if the next couple of days don't turn anything up...

Peace on earth,

C
angus

Post by angus »

Well Sirmorris, if you cannot do it....nobody can!

I find with the genuine Zeddy and Eighty One...both crash at the dropout early in - just after the header. BTW I find the genuine ZX81 much more forgiving than the emulator when it comes to loading tapes.

The Atlantis game, after some googling, seems to be a port of Greg Hassett's text adventure "voyage to Atlantis" on the TRS-80 from 1980. I remember playing the ZX81 version before I owned a Zeddy so it would have been mid 1981 on my friend's machine.
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

I think what it needs is some serious filtering. I'm not a DSP-head so does anyone know what kind of filtering would leave just the signal peaks?

C
angus

Post by angus »

I've had a go at removing the lowest and highest frequencies (<100Hz and >5000Hz) and giving a boost to the 3-4KHz mark because it 'sounded' better to my ears....recorded that to a cassette and attempted to load into the Zeddy. It crashes in the same place as before. Furthermore it actually sounded different on the tape compared to other Zeddy signals.

So no luck here but I am no DSP freak...just a hobbyist!
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

I amplified the dropped-out sections and I can now play it end-to-end in EO. It is corrupt when it eventually loads but it's a step forward... You can plainly see the 2 drop-outs at certain zoom levels in Audacity. The good thing is that the signal is never lost, it's just very quiet during these sections...
angus

Post by angus »

Good step forward, I don't have Audacity (is it free) I have Nero 9 full version and Sony Vegas 9. The latter is really a video editor but it's got some good audio control/fx too.

Is there any way you can send me the file after your changes? I find EO less forgiving than the real thing. Or maybe that's just my setup?
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

EO is less forgiving. I'll upload the file later - I'm just off to Paris for a look-see.

C
angus

Post by angus »

No luck, sirmorris?
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Aaah, none :(

Do you have access to any different equipment? Perhaps another WAV might be a little more accessible..?