SHROOMS - New 16K ZX81 game

General games-related topics
bobs

SHROOMS - New 16K ZX81 game

Post by bobs »

New game for the 16K ZX81 - SHROOMS - a conversions of the arcade game Centipede.

Download from my itch.io page - https://bobs-stuff.itch.io/shrooms
JohnsBargs

Re: SHROOMS - New 16K ZX81 game

Post by JohnsBargs »

Loving it :D
Its1982again

Post by Its1982again »

JohnsBargs wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:54 pm Loving it :D
It's certainly quick!!!

My only query is could it have been zon-x 81 compatible?

But.....it is still a world away from anything we've seen in the form of Centipede for the ZX81!

Fantastic peice of software.
ZX80 (white psu)
Issue 1 ZX81
32k comp mod ZX81 filesixty keyboard
Issue 1 Spectrum
Issue 2 Specrum
Toastrack
Issue 3 in Lo-Profile keyboard
Harlequin 128
DivMMC future
vdrive
TZXduino
ZX printer
Alphacom printer
bobs

Post by bobs »

Its1982again wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:18 am It's certainly quick!!!

But.....it is still a world away from anything we've seen in the form of Centipede for the ZX81!

Glad you like it!

(Goes off to find out what a zon-x 81 is…)

Yes, i could add support for that, but it’s a time over benefit thing - only 36 people have downloaded it, which doesn’t warrant me extending it further to any interfaces right now.

The other thing about that is if I add music & SFX, and hi-res graphics, and colour, then essentially I have a Spectrum game, which isn’t what this is.
Its1982again

Post by Its1982again »

bobs wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:15 am
Its1982again wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:18 am It's certainly quick!!!

Glad you like it!

(Goes off to find out what a zon-x 81 is…)

Yes, i could add support for that, but it’s a time over benefit thing - only 36 people have downloaded it, which doesn’t warrant me extending it further to any interfaces right now.

The other thing about that is if I add music & SFX, and hi-res graphics, and colour, then essentially I have a Spectrum game, which isn’t what this is.
Thanks for the reply.

I have to disagree with the adding of sound for zon-x as it was an original add-on for the original Zx81, therefore it's still a ZX81 game, just with coding for that interface, but I apreciated the time over benefit thing.

Anyway I'm still sticking to my first post that Shrooms is up there with Rebound as the best cover of an original regardless of sound or not.
ZX80 (white psu)
Issue 1 ZX81
Issue 1 Spectrum
Issue 2 Specrum
Toastrack
Harlequin 128
DivMMC future
vdrive
TZXduino
ZX printer
Alphacom printer
bobs

Post by bobs »

Its1982again wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:28 am I have to disagree with the adding of sound for zon-x as it was an original add-on for the original Zx81, therefore it's still a ZX81 game, just with coding for that interface, but I apreciated the time over benefit thing.
The Zon-X thing is a time/benefit issue, not an original hardware question. If I’m going to add SFX to a game, then that takes more time, so I’d probably code it as a Spectrum game instead - where audio is expected - which has a much bigger audience. The joy of writing for the ZX81, as I see it, is the simplicity of the machine - a character mapped display and a little bit of memory. That means I can have fun just writing the game itself, quickly (usually), without getting caught up in complexities of audio, colour (clash), memory pages and so on - all the stuff which I’m going through writing Melkhior’s.

If this was “back in the day” and I was going to be selling 100s of cassettes of this, at £5 a time, then I’d probably do it, but this is really just coding for myself.
Its1982again wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:28 am Anyway I'm still sticking to my first post that Shrooms is up there with Rebound as the best cover of an original regardless of sound or not.
Thanks, that’s much appreciated.
Its1982again

Post by Its1982again »

bobs wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:54 am
Its1982again wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:28 am I have to disagree with the adding of sound for zon-x as it was an original add-on for the original Zx81, therefore it's still a ZX81 game, just with coding for that interface, but I apreciated the time over benefit thing.
The Zon-X thing is a time/benefit issue, not an original hardware question. If I’m going to add SFX to a game, then that takes more time, so I’d probably code it as a Spectrum game instead - where audio is expected - which has a much bigger audience. The joy of writing for the ZX81, as I see it, is the simplicity of the machine - a character mapped display and a little bit of memory. That means I can have fun just writing the game itself, quickly (usually), without getting caught up in complexities of audio, colour (clash), memory pages and so on - all the stuff which I’m going through writing Melkhior’s.

If this was “back in the day” and I was going to be selling 100s of cassettes of this, at £5 a time, then I’d probably do it, but this is really just coding for myself.
Its1982again wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:28 am Anyway I'm still sticking to my first post that Shrooms is up there with Rebound as the best cover of an original regardless of sound or not.
Thanks, that’s much appreciated.
Fair point. I've just started (2 years ago) to get back into the Sinclair machines again. I had the ZX81 when I was 11 then the rubber keyed speccy but we could never afford the 128k so now I've got a nice little collection of machines from original ZX81s to a couple of toastracks and perphials/loaders etc. I don't use emulators as to me the idea of it is exactly as you say, the simplicity of the machines, especially in this crazy over technical world we live in.

Looking forward to Melkhior's Mansion.
ZX80 (white psu)
Issue 1 ZX81
Issue 1 Spectrum
Issue 2 Specrum
Toastrack
Harlequin 128
DivMMC future
vdrive
TZXduino
ZX printer
Alphacom printer
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

I agree with Bob's sentiments re the 81 and its simplicity.
Over time I have converted quite few old and possibly forgotten programs to UDG versions that used block graphics as nothing else was viable at the time I suppose and posted them here as an alternative to the original,but Bob's stuff I leave well alone except for my own novelty and would never post a conversion here as I totally get the ethos he has about programming in a certain way for this particular computer and whilst a UDG or HI-Res version of his games might look pretty I feel they would lose all of the original intention ,and I totally respect that, which would be a shame.

Just my two bobs(groan) worth. :D
nollkolltroll

Post by nollkolltroll »

Looking really good! It's even more professional looking with those opening screens, and the game is looking smooth. Will have to try it out this weekend.
/Adam
patters

Post by patters »

Great work indeed! Love it.