ZON X-81 compatible software

General games-related topics
Its1982again

ZON X-81 compatible software

Post by Its1982again »

Hi. I've finally managed to get a Bi Pak Zon x-81. Does anyone on here have a list or link to any software which uses this in its code? Also be interesting to know how many units were actually made. Cheers in advance.
ZX80 (white psu)
Issue 1 ZX81
32k comp mod ZX81 filesixty keyboard
Issue 1 Spectrum
Issue 2 Specrum
Toastrack
Issue 3 in Lo-Profile keyboard
Harlequin 128
DivMMC future
vdrive
TZXduino
ZX printer
Alphacom printer
BarryN

Re: ZON X-81 compatible software

Post by BarryN »

Its1982again wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:37 am Hi. I've finally managed to get a Bi Pak Zon x-81. Does anyone on here have a list or link to any software which uses this in its code? Also be interesting to know how many units were actually made. Cheers in advance.
That's the music/sound expansion, right?
There is a bunch of stuff that supports it.

There is BatZ: https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/alt/319 ... WjcnBszQdl
Check out this thread over here with a list: viewtopic.php?t=2203

As far as how many of the original were made, I'm not sure but there has been a modern reproduction made also, as well as the ZXPand which has ZonX support builtin, as well as other features. I have the ZXPand Plus myself.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

It's worth checking out the new games thread as a lot of the new software there uses AY.

There is also Sea-dragon reworked for the 81 which as well as sound effects has a title tune composed by yours truly (he says modestly) although this does require a UDG board of some description.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2769&hilit=seadragon

There is also the Music tracker, compiler, STC and PT3 players created by Andy Rea should you be interested.

I have attached a simple tune program based on his STC player which when loaded and run will play the included AY tunes one at a time moving on sequentially after a set period whilst showing time left on screen.
Load the file "JUKE" then run it to hear the music. There is also a file named "JUK", ignore this as it is for another of my ZXpands that has different AY port settings to Zonx.

I should also add that ZX81 guru Greg Harder has taken this a lot further and produced programs based on Andy's PT3 and STC players which now have graphic as well as sound capabilities and a more comprehensive control menu.

His work here..
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4222&p=43483&hilit ... yer#p43483

If you get fed up of the squeaky mono speaker of the Zonx and don't mind doing mods then I can show you how I converted mine not only to stereo but a stereo less harsh in its R/L output, but understand if you want to keep it whole and original.
Attachments
TINYSTC2.zip
(63.43 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
Its1982again

Post by Its1982again »

Thanks for that. Yep, it's 3 channel AY sound module. I'm a sucker for the original Sinclair stuff, although I do have a 'slave' zx81 with internal 32k and composite mod, along with a new PSU & TZXdiuno. Been looking for a ZXpand but no luck so far, same with a Chroma interface.
ZX80 (white psu)
Issue 1 ZX81
Issue 1 Spectrum
Issue 2 Specrum
Toastrack
Harlequin 128
DivMMC future
vdrive
TZXduino
ZX printer
Alphacom printer
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

I doubt very much if we will see any ZXpands in the near future but will have a word with Sir Morris and see how the land lies.
BarryN

Post by BarryN »

Moggy wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:08 pm It's worth checking out the new games thread as a lot of the new software there uses AY.

There is also Sea-dragon reworked for the 81 which as well as sound effects has a title tune composed by yours truly (he says modestly) although this does require a UDG board of some description.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2769&hilit=seadragon

There is also the Music tracker, compiler, STC and PT3 players created by Andy Rea should you be interested.

I have attached a simple tune program based on his STC player which when loaded and run will play the included AY tunes one at a time moving on sequentially after a set period whilst showing time left on screen.
Load the file "JUKE" then run it to hear the music. There is also a file named "JUK", ignore this as it is for another of my ZXpands that has different AY port settings to Zonx.

I should also add that ZX81 guru Greg Harder has taken this a lot further and produced programs based on Andy's PT3 and STC players which now have graphic as well as sound capabilities and a more comprehensive control menu.

His work here..
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4222&p=43483&hilit ... yer#p43483

If you get fed up of the squeaky mono speaker of the Zonx and don't mind doing mods then I can show you how I converted mine not only to stereo but a stereo less harsh in its R/L output, but understand if you want to keep it whole and original.
Any chance you could release a version of Sea-dragon that uses WRX graphics instead of UDG?
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Sea-Dragon is purely the work of Sir Morris and Andy Rea who also supplied the STC element and myself only the Credits tune.
I can say with certainty that it is not something that Sir Morris is likely to revisit at any time soon but having said that I'm also sure a lot of input eg
display driver code etc came from FM nollkolltroll ( apologies for any misappropriation ) so perhaps a shout out to him may be of use.
shirleyknott

Post by shirleyknott »

David Stephenson has just released Minos Knossoss, sequel to the very successful Tut Tut.

It apparently supports the ZON X-81

https://zx81keyboardadventure.itch.io/minoss-knossoss

(I did the port to MSX and RC2014 and added title music and SFX using my AY music driver. David used a cut-down version of that code for this sequel.)
Its1982again

Post by Its1982again »

Just got it. Tut-Tut is still one of my favourite games on the ZX81 so looking forward to getting into this. Had a couple of goes and the sound makes a massive difference to atmosphere!
ZX80 (white psu)
Issue 1 ZX81
Issue 1 Spectrum
Issue 2 Specrum
Toastrack
Harlequin 128
DivMMC future
vdrive
TZXduino
ZX printer