"New" Game - ZONKEY KONG! by DnD

General games-related topics
Spinnetti

Re: "New" Game - ZONKEY KONG! by DnD

Post by Spinnetti »

PS, Should be able to select any of the normal keys now too, thanks to a fine debug by Don. First post updated with lastest version.
Zeddy: ZX80, ZX81/ZXpand, TS1000/ZXpand, TS1500/Zxpand+
Speccy: 48k, +, +2, +3, TS2068, "Bare Metal" Pi, Next KS2, IF1/Microdrives/Vdrive/Light Gun/VGA-Joy
QL: Minerva/QL-VGA/Custom PSU
C5: 24v, LiFE battery, Disc brakes
JohnsBargs

Post by JohnsBargs »

Well, it still doesn’t like QAOP - P doesn’t work - but otherwise it seems hunky-dory on both Windows and Retropie. Yay!
Spinnetti

Post by Spinnetti »

Weird! Thanks... I use QZBM. QAO worked for me but not P... I guess just some combos of emulator, OS and keyboard are gonna be flaky.
Speccy: 48k, +, +2, +3, TS2068, "Bare Metal" Pi, Next KS2, IF1/Microdrives/Vdrive/Light Gun/VGA-Joy
BarryN

Post by BarryN »

The QAOP problem has nothing to do with any emulator. On my Timex Sinclair 1000, if I try to set a keyboard config of O left, P right, Q up, A down, the first problem I have is the config routine won't acknowledge the A, if I then use a Z instead of A, then O doesn't work in the game. Before anyone asks, my keyboard on my Timex Sinclair 1000 works fine for everything else. The SZ81 emulator which I have contributed code to behaves exactly the same as my physical machine, including even the key bounce issues where one one is sometimes detected as two or more key presses during the keyboard key setup.
computergui

Post by computergui »

BarryN wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:30 am The QAOP problem has nothing to do with any emulator. On my Timex Sinclair 1000, if I try to set a keyboard config of O left, P right, Q up, A down, the first problem I have is the config routine won't acknowledge the A, if I then use a Z instead of A, then O doesn't work in the game. Before anyone asks, my keyboard on my Timex Sinclair 1000 works fine for everything else. The SZ81 emulator which I have contributed code to behaves exactly the same as my physical machine, including even the key bounce issues where one one is sometimes detected as two or more key presses during the keyboard key setup.
Agreed with your assessment. Our code calls the keyboard routine in ROM for both setting the values in the beginning and checking in the game. The values returned should be the same. Whether it’s the emulator or hardware. We found an issue where we didn’t recognize keys if the horizontal and vertical values returned from the ROM routine were equal. This is a more challenging bug. It works for nearly every key combo, and gets passed the initial setting of the keys yet fails in game. As much as I’m ready to close out this project, I’ll want to figure it out.
Timex Sinclair 1000 with ZXPand
Timex Sinclair 1500 - 4
Timex Sinclair 2068 -2
ZX Spectrum 48K - 12ish...
ZX Spectrum Plus
ZX Spectrum 128K
ZX Spectrum Plus 2
ZX Spectrum Plus 3
Sinclair QL
ZX Spectrum Next KS 2 (when it lands!)
ZX 48K Spider
ZX Max 128
BarryN

Post by BarryN »

computergui wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:47 am
BarryN wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:30 am The QAOP problem has nothing to do with any emulator. On my Timex Sinclair 1000, if I try to set a keyboard config of O left, P right, Q up, A down, the first problem I have is the config routine won't acknowledge the A, if I then use a Z instead of A, then O doesn't work in the game. Before anyone asks, my keyboard on my Timex Sinclair 1000 works fine for everything else. The SZ81 emulator which I have contributed code to behaves exactly the same as my physical machine, including even the key bounce issues where one one is sometimes detected as two or more key presses during the keyboard key setup.
Agreed with your assessment. Our code calls the keyboard routine in ROM for both setting the values in the beginning and checking in the game. The values returned should be the same. Whether it’s the emulator or hardware. We found an issue where we didn’t recognize keys if the horizontal and vertical values returned from the ROM routine were equal. This is a more challenging bug. It works for nearly every key combo, and gets passed the initial setting of the keys yet fails in game. As much as I’m ready to close out this project, I’ll want to figure it out.
The new joystick support works though! :)
Spinnetti

Post by Spinnetti »

Ok, totally redid the key handling, saved 53 bytes of object code, and controls feel "smoother" (at least to me). Give it a test for me please? - Try your favorite key combos and your zxpand joystick - hopefully I didn't break that! If it all works, I'll update the first post with the latest code. Thanks!

Cheers,

D.
Attachments
Zonkey Kong 1.03 20210430RC2.p
(10.77 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
BarryN

Post by BarryN »

Well, so far I have tested it on SZ81 and QAOP now seems to work. I will test it on the real Timex Sinclair 1000 later and let you know how that goes.
JohnsBargs

Post by JohnsBargs »

Yep, QAOP now working for me on EightyOne.
Spinnetti

Post by Spinnetti »

Awesome,

Thanks Gents.