1K Real Chess for ZX80 and ZX81 cassette kickstarter!

General games-related topics
marste

1K Real Chess for ZX80 and ZX81 cassette kickstarter!

Post by marste »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/st ... 0-and-zx81

Some of you will receive it as a gift from me, but hope some of the others will like the idea and support the initiative! I'm pretty sure I will not deliver tons of cassette, but as well they should be a very interesting item in the ZX80 and ZX81 software collection! :)

For the moment I'm working in order to improve even more the versions released. In case some of you is capable and interested to propose a nice cassette cover can contact me (I created a temporary one but I'm surely not the best artist for the purpose and instead I wish it to be a fantastic one! :))

Waiting for the 40th ZX81 birthday happy real chess to everyone!
dr beep

Re: 1K Real Chess for ZX80 and ZX81 cassette kickstarter!

Post by dr beep »

marste

Post by marste »

No particular reason.
No one I spoke with the idea suggested it to me before.
Anyway maybe I can still leverage on them for the physical production and shipping if the project will proceed (or even in case will it not reach the critical mass)!...
Let's see
Bukster

Post by Bukster »

Very ambitious programming. Has this actually been programmed? I would love to see it.
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Both the ZX80 and 81 have had a full FIDE 1k chess for about five years now. I did a lot of play testing for Stefano of both versions and whilst the ZX81 version is quite excellent in my opinion, the ZX80 version is problematic from a gameplay point of view which I find surprising as I believe they have the same game code though happy to be corrected.

The ZX81 has three main versions of the program( also a couple of prototypes): "weak" (faster) "Strong" (slower 5-8 mins per move but stronger play) and "Flexi" which allows you to make a few strong opening moves for the zeddy before letting the AI take over. Constant pressing of the enter key allows this version to play itself and or play a move for you.

All versions are FIDE compliant insofar as they allow castling en passant and under promotion and whilst the grandmasters won't lose any sleep over it I have to say the gameplay after setting up the zeddy with a good opening is quite good and tentatively ELO rated at around 1200 or novice level.

I have had the strong game play against other computer/consoles chess programs and whilst losing to stronger up to date PC's it wiped the floor with Saga and Atari chess at equivalent levels and can hold its on on some occasions against 16k ZX81 chess.

The ZX80 gameplay is strange insomuch as it seems to just want to repeatedly move a rook side to side on concentrate on solely advancing its queens rook pawn at the expense of everything else but I do believe this is still a work in progress.

None of the versions have any kind of book opening or end game strategy but hey we are talking 1k here and I have to say in my very humble but honest opinion that these chess programs are a staggering feat of programming for such a humble machine and Stefano has my full admiration and support for all his hard work.

Information can be found here..

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2290&hilit=fide+zx80+chess

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1841&p=18959&hilit= ... ess#p18959

The Micro chess page with versions for different platforms

http://smmax.sourceforge.net/
marste

Post by marste »

Thank you Moggy for the nice reply! :)

Regarding the movements I can say that this depends on the facts that not much tacticts (and even more strategy) could be fit in the program, and so until it do not see an advantage or a threat it just does "a move". Infact the things change when the real play starts with pieces around the chessboard and opportunities (on both sides) are available!

Moreover on the ZX80 "flickerfree" this is impacted also by the fact that there is even less space available due to the additional custom video routine, while instead I was able to fit a tiny opening book inside the ZX81 one!

I'm trying to even improve the actual implementation. As you might imagine it's difficult and I still don't exactly know if and where I'll be able to go. I'm trying to do my best, and if the project will fly this will be just a bigger kick to the work!
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Thanks for the explanation about the ZX80 video routine,this makes sense now. :D

I have found that if I do the opening moves for the opponent and then let it play for itself a good game can be played plus it's nice to have something for the ZX80 to do.
dr beep

Post by dr beep »

marste wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:52 pm Thank you Moggy for the nice reply! :)

Regarding the movements I can say that this depends on the facts that not much tacticts (and even more strategy) could be fit in the program, and so until it do not see an advantage or a threat it just does "a move". Infact the things change when the real play starts with pieces around the chessboard and opportunities (on both sides) are available!

Moreover on the ZX80 "flickerfree" this is impacted also by the fact that there is even less space available due to the additional custom video routine, while instead I was able to fit a tiny opening book inside the ZX81 one!

I'm trying to even improve the actual implementation. As you might imagine it's difficult and I still don't exactly know if and where I'll be able to go. I'm trying to do my best, and if the project will fly this will be just a bigger kick to the work!
you can win bytes with the JP (HL) as final screenbyte after the last NL of the board.
marste

Post by marste »

dr beep wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:31 pm you can win bytes with the JP (HL) as final screenbyte after the last NL of the board.
I already implemented your suggestion and in the emulator seem working both for zx80 (standard and flickerfree) and zx81! :)

I was willing to test on real hw but still was not able to do it. As soon as I'll do I'll report!

Thank you!