STEPS - New 16K ZX81 Game

General games-related topics
bobs

STEPS - New 16K ZX81 Game

Post by bobs »

A new game for the 16K ZX81 - 'Steps' - A conversion of the Pico-8 game of the same name by Ahmed Khalifa.
game-1.png
game-1.png (2.15 KiB) Viewed 3479 times
Steps is a small Minit-like game where instead of dying from time, you die after a certain amount of steps. Explore the cursed island, solve puzzles, and find the hidden coins. Try to run away from the island by finding the Icarus wings as it is the only way to escape the cursed island.

The original can be found (and played) here: https://amidos2006.itch.io/steps
The ZX81 conversion can be downloaded from: https://bobs-stuff.itch.io/steps
bobs

Re: STEPS - New 16K ZX81 Game

Post by bobs »

New build uploaded to itch, which fixes a slight graphical glitch would could occur at a certain location on the map.

The gameplay itself wasn’t affected though, so it’s not been made any easier to complete, or to find all those damn coins!
nollkolltroll

Post by nollkolltroll »

Very good looking, congratulations on a fine game!
/Adam
bobs

Post by bobs »

nollkolltroll wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:34 pm Very good looking, congratulations on a fine game!
Many thanks! I can take zero credit for the game’s design and graphics, but 100% for bringing it quickly and accurately to the humble Zeddy.
marste

Post by marste »

Beautiful looking game, compliments! With the recent releases seems ZX8* are still and strong on the rise!
You've also other very nice ones, and for what I can see seems you are a very good programmer but also a very good pixel artist! :)
David G

Post by David G »

Cheers to Bob, it looks right at home on the ZX81 screen

And cheers to the original designer Ahmed. As a game it is difficult, but I work at it a few minutes every week and have progressed a bit. I'm still not sure what each icon represents yet sure it will become more clear in time
mrtinb

Post by mrtinb »

Villordsutch has a walk though on YouTube

There are spoilers.
Martin
https://zx.rtin.be
ZX81, Lambda 8300, Commodore 64, Mac G4 Cube
kokkiklhs

Post by kokkiklhs »

bobs wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:03 pm I can take zero credit for the game’s design and graphics, but 100% for bringing it quickly and accurately to the humble Zeddy.
Cheers, Bob!
We're always glad to see another one of your brilliant works on the Zeddy! Really nice, thank you!!!
8-)
bobs

Post by bobs »

Thanks all! 8-)

marste wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:20 am Beautiful looking game, compliments! With the recent releases seems ZX8* are still and strong on the rise!
You've also other very nice ones, and for what I can see seems you are a very good programmer but also a very good pixel artist! :)
Lo-Rez ZX81 games like this are a joy to write - the character mapped screen, and lack of sound, make for quick development. I’ve written a few games for the Zeddy now which I’m really proud of, and I hope shows what the machine is capable of.

David G wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:57 am Cheers to Bob, it looks right at home on the ZX81 screen

And cheers to the original designer Ahmed. As a game it is difficult, but I work at it a few minutes every week and have progressed a bit. I'm still not sure what each icon represents yet sure it will become more clear in time
I thought it *was* a ZX81 game when I first saw it, so I had to convert it just to make that true. I found the game impossible to begin with, but slowly everything reveals itself into a well crafted game.

mrtinb wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:24 am Villordsutch has a walk though on YouTube

There are spoilers.
I’m always chuffed when Villordsutch focuses on my games, although this play through actually found a bug! It does have spoilers, but he hasn’t found everything. ;)

kokkiklhs wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:10 pm Cheers, Bob!
We're always glad to see another one of your brilliant works on the Zeddy! Really nice, thank you!!!
8-)
Thanks! Glad it’s being played!
bobs

Post by bobs »

Since converting this I do wonder now about making a similar ‘open world’ adventure game for the Zeddy. Not limited to steps this time, but in a similar style (flick-screen or scrolling) with more adventure/quest elements - something like Zelda I believe (although I’ve never actually played that!)