Invitation to comp.sys.sinclair Crap Game Compo 2008

General games-related topics
Digital Prawn

Invitation to comp.sys.sinclair Crap Game Compo 2008

Post by Digital Prawn »

Hi All,

Thanks to the forum admin, RWAP for activating my forum account so quickly!

For those who may not know about the annual crap game compo, please pop along to the CSSCGC 2008 website at http://reptonix.awardspace.co.uk/sinclair/csscgc2008/

ZX80 and ZX81 games (and quite a few other platforms besides) are very welcome in this year's compo.

You may also download and indeed play (a couple so far) ZX80 & ZX81 crap game submissions online via the "The Back Porch" Crap Game Arcade. It uses Simon Holdsworth's excellent JtyOne Java Emulator (based on EightyOne by Mike Wynne),

Have fun,

DP

P.S. It's great to see a dedicated English language ZX80/ZX81 forum up and running again! :ugeek:
Digital Prawn

Re: Invitation to comp.sys.sinclair Crap Game Compo 2008

Post by Digital Prawn »

Hi again all,

Just a quick update on this year's CSSCGC 2008 competition.

There's now just a month remaining. The deadline for submission is 4:47pm GMT Friday 9th January 2009. (That is exactly one calendar year after the competition commenced).

We have just two ZX81 entries so far and one ZX80 one, which I'm very grateful for.

I'm not sure if we'll get any more ZX80 or ZX81 entries in this ZX Spectrum dominated competition, but if we do then of course they are very welcome.

There is a "Certificate of Participation" available for all entrants. (example shown here). So let me know if you enter (or have entered) and would like one of them, in which case I'll make one with your name on it.

Results of the competition will be announced sometime in Jan '09 on the comp.sys.sinclair USENET group.

Best Regards,

Digital Prawn

CSSCGC 2008 is at http://reptonix.awardspace.co.uk/sinclair/csscgc2008/
Digital Prawn

Post by Digital Prawn »

Hi all,

Just to let everyone know, the CSSCGC 2008 competition closed yesterday.

A big thank you to everyone who submitted entries.

The final total was 123 titles submitted over a period of exactly one year so I honestly could not have asked for better support than that

Results will be announced on Saturday 17th Jan. (i.e. next Saturday)

Best Regards, DP
Digital Prawn

Post by Digital Prawn »

Hi All,

This is my final announcement on here about CSSCGC 2008.

Just to let everyone know, due to favourable conditions (i.e. it was quiet in work yesterday), the judgement of the competition entries was completed three days earlier than originally anticipated.

Because of this, the original plan was scrapped and results were instead announced last night.

Congratulations to "The Mojon Twins" for winning CSSCGC 2008 with "The Ultimate First Communion Simulator" and commiserations to "Cruddy Software" for losing it with "Lapland Theme Park Manager".

Please download the full results textfile here:-

http://www.mediafire.com/?zzfxk1zmkzm

A final big thank you to all who entered, making it such an interesting and varied compo this year (to participants from ALL forums and groups around the Internet!)

Cheers, DP
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Looks like you had fun ;)

Thanks for the updates DP!
Digital Prawn

Post by Digital Prawn »

Thanks sirmorris, yes it was great fun.

CSSCGC 2009 is already well underway here:- http://alistairsserver.no-ip.org/public/cgc/

This year's CGC is not run by me, but by "Guesser", as it is traditional to have a different host and organiser every year.

I noticed that the rules for this year also state that entries for any Sinclair machine or compatible clone are permitted.

I always think a few ZX80/ZX81 games add a little bit of extra variety to the CGC.

As an entrant, I may even attempt something simple for the ZX80 or ZX81 myself this year.

In fact it was a ZX81 title which lost me the CSSCGC 2007 competition - I'm so glad it did now! :)

Cheers, DP
XavSnap

Post by XavSnap »

Hi !

My game:

Code: Select all

10 LET WINNER$="ZX81"
20 IF WINNER$="ZX81" THEN WINNER="SPECTRUM"
30 PRINT AT 0,0;WINNER$
40 GOTO 30
50 SAVE "THE-WINNER-Is"
:(
Xav Fun.
Xavier ...on the Facebook groupe : "Zx81 France"(fr)
RWAP

Post by RWAP »

XavSnap wrote:Hi !

My game:

Code: Select all

10 LET WINNER$="ZX81"
20 IF WINNER$="ZX81" THEN WINNER="SPECTRUM"
30 PRINT AT 0,0;WINNER$
40 GOTO 30
50 SAVE "THE-WINNER-Is"
:(
Xav Fun.
Ah I see - the game is to spot the deliberate mistake!
Digital Prawn

Post by Digital Prawn »

From my point of view, it would be really nice to see more ZX80 and ZX81 titles in future CGC competitons! :D

For me, this is particularly because I owned a ZX81 long before I ever got a speccy.

In CSSCGC 2008 only 2 of the entries submitted were for the ZX81 (and one of the two also had a ZX80 version). This was out of 123 total entries, so not surprising that it wasn't won by a ZX81 title.

However, I can quite honestly say that during my time as judge of CSSCGC 2008 that if the best submission had've been for the ZX81 I would have been very happy to have awarded the winning prize to a ZX81 title.

As it happened, the best position acheived for the ZX81 was 40th place out of 123rd, which was based purely on the quality of the submitted game - the platform being irrelevant.

All I can say is, to increase the chances of a ZX80 or ZX81 submission winning, then some good "crap game" entries have to be sent into the compo for those platforms.

Here's hoping we see some more of them. Cheers!