The comp.sys.sinclair Crap Games Competition 2021: 25th edition extravaganza!

General games-related topics
TMD2003

Re: The comp.sys.sinclair Crap Games Competition 2021: 25th edition extravaganza!

Post by TMD2003 »

END OF WEEK 42:

Two entries this week - both of them for the Spectrum.

Steve "Kweepa" McCrea has borrowed Old Bones from the BBC Micro's version of Cassette 50 and converted it for the 16K Spectrum. Given that the Beeb cost more than twice as much as a 48K Spectrum and Our Glorious Creator considered it a rival for the QL, is its own Cassette 50 better than the one that we know and wish we didn't? The game is 1.6K of BASIC. Judge for yourselves.

Meanwhile, as October means Halloween, "Titanius Angelsmith" sent a game that's at least appropriate for the occasion: Catch the Frankonstins, for the 48K Spectrum - written in Boriel BASIC, which explains why it's saved as a chunk of machine code and runs faster than regular BASIC.

There are six more entries that I require before the Extra Super Bonus Crap Game can be revealed and reviewed - its author is beavering away on it right now to get it into fine fettle for its intended release, on the assumption that The Great Reveal is a certainty. Don't let him down, don't let me down, don't let yourselves down. SIX MORE ENTRIES. I don't mind what machines they're for, but anything that's for the ZX81, ZX80, QL, SAM Coupé, Jupiter Ace, Next, ZX-Uno, Lambda 8300, Z88, MK14 or the undeveloped Loki will be extremely welcome.

I want to be able to say "we're getting the bonus game" before the end of October. You have nine days.
Last edited by TMD2003 on Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Crayon21

Re: The comp.sys.sinclair Crap Games Competition 2021: 25th edition extravaganza!

Post by Crayon21 »

i'll just leave this here
Attachments
guess the cherub.tzx
(779 Bytes) Downloaded 76 times
In Heck, there are two options for perpetual torment:

Eat the Puckerberry and suffer for eternity:
drink nothing but a cocktail of The Last Dab and Mexican Cake blended and served with
habanero slices
:twisted:
TMD2003

Post by TMD2003 »

END OF WEEK 43:

Grunt, snarl, froth. Once again I've had a blank week, and the competition is marooned on 46 entries with four to go in order to allow The Great Bonus to be revealed.

This update has to be short, because I've got a very interesting day driving a hired van on a 400-mile round trip ahead of me, half of which will be in pitch darkness. Fortunately, I know where I'm going, at least until I get to the M6 at Birmingham...

{some of this post does not exist}
Last edited by TMD2003 on Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

1024MAK wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:55 am This…
… is under construction..

But as I temporarily have new duties for the job which they pay me money, my free time is rather different than before. And as I have many other things to do, hobby time is a bit limited.

So like many government construction projects, there is no planned “finish” date… but I hope to make faster progress after summer fades out and winter draws in.

Mark
Good News
Good News
Development has restarted on this project. Progress has, and continues to be slow, but then, what would you expect from the most primitive computer from Sinclair (assuming you don’t count the MK14 as an actual general purpose computer).

This project aims to tick off at least two (maybe more) of your earth challenges listed here.

Mark
ZX81 Variations
ZX81 Chip Pin-outs
ZX81 Video Transistor Buffer Amp

:!: Standby alert :!:
There are four lights!
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
TMD2003

Post by TMD2003 »

The target time is just under seven weeks - though anything submitted in week 50 is going to have to be something I could review quickly.

Meanwhile, I should probably crack on with the Extra-Special Bonus Game at some stage...
TMD2003

Post by TMD2003 »

Slightly earlier than usual, because I'm going to be very busy this evening...

END OF WEEK 44:

Technically, there's only been one entry this week EDIT: this is actually true, now! {some of this post does not exist}

Dave Hughes' bare-bones scene demo, Twinkle Twinkle, which plays a strange version of a nursery rhyme that even my two-and-a-half-year-old nephew would know is full of wrong notes!

Meanwhile, the RZX page has been updated again, with all the games submitted up to the end of August. This includes 1024MAK's Don't Panic! from much earlier in the year, that I've managed to get working with a later version of the ZX81-via-IF2 ROM cartridges for the 128K Spectrum.

Six weeks remain before I'm freed from the competition's shackles. I've enjoyed it, but I wouldn't want to be the permanent host! There are TWO entries required now before the Awesome Bonus Game can be cleared. The author is still working on it, with an intended release date of "late November", but I have a preview version in my hands already.

CAN I HAVE, BEFORE THE END OF THE COMPETITION:
- a SAM Coupé game?
- a Spectrum game on some kind of disc format?
- a Spectrum game on microdrive?
- some more ZX81 games?

Last edited by TMD2003 on Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
salvacam

Post by salvacam »

TMD2003 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:48 pm - some more ZX81 games?
I just sent you an email with another ZX81 game
only one more to reach 50, and only one of ZX81 to reach ten
My games

ZX81 hoy Blog (in Spanish) of new games and applications for the ZX81
TMD2003

Post by TMD2003 »

salvacam wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:45 pm I just sent you an email with another ZX81 game
only one more to reach 50, and only one of ZX81 to reach ten
And I really want that target. Anyway, I've got your game - it'll get a review probably Sunday.
Crayon21

Post by Crayon21 »

it still needs work but this is my entry for the contest

I made this with 2k. I know you don't think highly of me but know that i AM trying. Anyway, i look forward to your review.

The first path with the werewolf is the only one allowed for now. Expect a few surprises. For whatever reason, the zx81 lacks a right slash key or i'm going nuts. alas, my spider looks like crap. I have arachnophobia so well, i hope it fits

Don't be too critical. :D

Enjoy and happy november :D
the file is tzx, i forgot how to do a .p file

Also my entry for the white challenge, done in 16k
I filled so much i couldn't even save :lol:
enjoy

here is another: It is an unwinnable game called minefield. I couldn't do anything original so i tweaked the measles program and got this. I checked it and it runs fine. I may not be able to code game adequately but i am trying, it's just harder for people like me that never grew up on the hardware. my first pc was windows 95/98. Still, I won't give up
Attachments
minefield.p
(1.39 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
wilderness pt 1.tzx
(2.19 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
In Heck, there are two options for perpetual torment:

Eat the Puckerberry and suffer for eternity:
drink nothing but a cocktail of The Last Dab and Mexican Cake blended and served with
habanero slices
:twisted:
TMD2003

Post by TMD2003 »

Last edited by TMD2003 on Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.