ZX80 Kong

General games-related topics
Fruitcake

ZX80 Kong

Post by Fruitcake »

I thought you might be interested to know that an enhanced version of my flicker-free Kong game for the ZX80 has now been released on cassette by Cronosoft.

Simon from Cronosoft recently posted the following on Facebook:
KongRelease1.png

Along with this photo:
KongRelease2.png

This new version of the game was especially created for the Cronosoft release and includes a number of enhancements.

The list of enhancements are:
- Now completely flicker-free, including when switching between title and game screens.
- Tweak to the difficulty of level 1.
- Includes ZXpand joystick support.
- Includes support for keyboard controls QAOP.
- Includes support for keyboard controls ZXPL.
- Game auto-runs upon loading.

I've worked with Cronosoft on creating a distinctive inlay design that evokes the style of the ZX80.

The cassette contains versions of the game that run with the original 4K ROM and the 8K ROM upgrade. The 8K ROM version was previous branded as for the ZX81 since it also runs on that computer but I have rebranded it as for the ZX80 with 8K ROM due to its use of the flicker-free technique instead of the ZX81's slow mode.

Each version of the game loads in two parts. The first is a Chroma colourisation loader which will configure the Chroma 80/Chroma 81 interface if present and then automatically loads the second part which is the actual game. For the 4K ROM version, the loader also installs and runs its own cassette load routine that reflects the tape signal to the screen (like the 8K ROM does) which make finding an appropriate volume level easier when loading the actual game. The loader and game parts of the 4K ROM version both auto-run upon loading using the clever mechanism devised by Martin Korth.

The game can be found on Cronosoft's website.