ZX81 Dominetris - WIP

General games-related topics
bobs

Re: ZX81 Dominetris - WIP

Post by bobs »

siggi wrote:I played the game using the "specific" mode. I like that version best :-)
Well, it was written for you! :D
siggi wrote:I got enough points to get to the last position of the hiscore list. Is it possible (how) to save the game with the new hiscore list?
If you're using an emulator, such as EightyOne, then that usually provides options for taking snapshots. Not so easy if you are playing this on a real ZX81/Timex though. I guess it would be possible to add an option to exit back to basic, and so you could save the game from there though...
bobs

Post by bobs »

New work-in-progress build (WIP#5) uploaded, which has an additional menu option to allow you to choose how many rows of tiles already exist in the game when you start it - in case you want more of a challenge!
BrunoFlorindo

Post by BrunoFlorindo »

I've shared the news with the folks at the german ZX81 forum. :)
siggi

Post by siggi »

bobs wrote:
siggi wrote:I played the game using the "specific" mode. I like that version best :-)
Well, it was written for you! :D
So it's not the "specific" mode, but the "siggi" mode? ;) Thanks.
siggi wrote:I got enough points to get to the last position of the hiscore list. Is it possible (how) to save the game with the new hiscore list?
If you're using an emulator, such as EightyOne, then that usually provides options for taking snapshots.
I don't need a pc to play Zeddy games.
Not so easy if you are playing this on a real ZX81/Timex though. I guess it would be possible to add an option to exit back to basic, and so you could save the game from there though...
Yes: load register BC with e. g. 4711 and "ret"urn to BASIC. The the BASIC program could be:

10 if usr(Dominetris) = 4711 then save "Dominetris"
20 goto 10

And then the game is restarted automatically.

Or you could (in assembler) load the parameters (filename pointer) for the ROM routine "SAVE" and call the ROM routine from m/c.

Or you could execute a BASIC line within a m/c program, like MEMOCALC does it.

Siggi
My ZX81 web-server: online since 2007, running since dec. 2020 using ZeddyNet hardware
http://zx81.ddns.net/ZxTeaM
bobs

Post by bobs »

siggi wrote:Yes: load register BC with e. g. 4711 and "ret"urn to BASIC. The the BASIC program could be:

10 if usr(Dominetris) = 4711 then save "Dominetris"
20 goto 10

And then the game is restarted automatically.

Or you could (in assembler) load the parameters (filename pointer) for the ROM routine "SAVE" and call the ROM routine from m/c.

Or you could execute a BASIC line within a m/c program, like MEMOCALC does it.
I'll probably have a play with the idea of saving directly from assembler using the ROM - I'll need to re-work the front-end though to fit in more options.
bobs

Post by bobs »

WIP#6 now available - option added to save the game from the front-end to preserve the settings & high-scores, and Help expanded.
siggi

Post by siggi »

Hi Bob,
SAVE works fine, even with my web-server-Zeddy, which has a patched rom to redirekt SAVE and LOAD to a MMC card.
Good job! :)

IMHO the bomb tile makes the game too easy: if I don't touch the keyboard, a column of tiles will grow in the center . It takes 18 levels to finish a game, but the probability, that the column is deleted by a bomb, is 1/16. So (theoretically) the column will never reach the 18th level, because it deleted at level 16.

Maybe the probability of getting a bomb should be reduced, or the bomb should not appear always in the center.

Siggi
My ZX81 web-server: online since 2007, running since dec. 2020 using ZeddyNet hardware
bobs

Post by bobs »

Very glad the save works for you - another Siggi-special! :)

Yeah... I've been thinking about the bomb - so WIP#7 is now up, which reduces the chances of a bomb, and also prevents it from wiping out an entire column by limiting it to removing at most 10 numbers.
siggi

Post by siggi »

bobs wrote:Very glad the save works for you - another Siggi-special! :)
No, not especially for me. I think that every player, who gets into the hiscore list, wants to document his success 4E4 ;)

Now the only thing that is missing is a "Boss key" to pause the game and to show the screen of a "serious" application (like TASWORD II) :lol:

Siggi
bobs

Post by bobs »

Tee hee hee. Maybe I should write Tasword III and have this as a hidden game!!

New build - WIP#8 - now uploaded. Fixed a bug where the bomb could be wrapped-around from one side to the opposite one, and also prevented bombs from appearing too frequently.