Sound in '81 games

General games-related topics
Spirantho

Sound in '81 games

Post by Spirantho »

First off - Hi! Just joined this board. Some of you may remember me from the WorldOfSpectrum forums, but I've not posted there for a while (I occasionally repair people's Spectrums for them). Most of you probably don't. :) I've not used my '81 in a while but always had a very soft spot for it since it was my first computer (£45 in 1983 from WHSmiths including Invasion Force which was great, and a 16K RAM pack).

Anyhoo, I was wondering if anything at all ever used the AY chip in my Zon X sound board thingy which I have on my expanded '81 (with 32KB of power!!) - is there anything that uses it apart from the demos in the manual, or do I have to write something?

Thanks!
Ian Gledhill
http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ for all your retro-computing needs (especially Sinclairs!)
Moggy

Re: Sound in '81 games

Post by Moggy »

Hi Spirantho welcome aboard

I've tried for ages to find something for my zon x but to no avail.
I've heard it suggested that a spectrum soundtracker conversion would be useful if it could be done, I don't have the latin for that kind of sorchery i'm afraid. Some kind of interface to reduce the tedium of having to manipulate a dozen or so registers to make a rasping squeak!!

Regards Moggy
BrunoFlorindo

Post by BrunoFlorindo »

Welcome!
I know that Defender, a quicksilva game, used AY sounds if the interface was connected. What I'm not sure is if was intended for the Zon interface. If you want to check it right way download the EightyOne emulator and load Defender with AY sounds enabled. I think it comes bundled with the emulator.

If you check my post history you'll see that I've explored this topic a lot. Coming up with a new AY interface for the ZX81 will be easier than trying to make things for the Zon. I've been told the ports would be exactly the same as the ones used on any 128K Spectrum, but if playing side by side with a Spectrm it would sound just a little bit out-of-tune and slower. Rich, if you're reading this, please ask your Spectrum AY interface supplier if he could do a ZX81 version! :) If this is doable you could be listening to Spectrum AY tunes on the ZX81 pretty soon.
Spirantho

Post by Spirantho »

Hey BrunfoFlorida,

The ZonX is just as easy to program as any other AY chip, it's just an AY and a speaker. :) You just need to change the ports, not a problem at all.
The QS game I think used the QS high-res graphics, not sure about sound, didn't it? Could be totally wrong though, will have to look.

Incidentally, I fired up EightyOne and found the ZonX emulation didn't work, the coarse tuning register is completely wrong and I'm not sure about the fine tuning, which is annoying as that makes development verrry hard.... I mentioned that in the Emulators forum... but no-one with a solution yet!
Ian Gledhill
http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ for all your retro-computing needs (especially Sinclairs!)
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Hi Spirantho

I think the Zonx problem is that as it stands it is too difficult to program as per the manual if you are musicaly minded as opposed to computer minded.
A lot of effort seems to be required for very little output, perhaps that is why it died a death. I bought it at the time as a musical tool, but gave up and ended up going the Midi route.
Now theres an idea for a new interface!!!