Chooperdrop 3000...I'm confused!!!!

General games-related topics
nama

Chooperdrop 3000...I'm confused!!!!

Post by nama »

I been recently moving my old .mac web site over to a new server and hosting service (not finished yet as there are lots of broken links and the FTP isn't up and running yet)
For those of you who remember a few years back I wrote a program called Chopperdrop 3000.

http://www.neoncluster.com/sinclair/ZX8 ... _3000.html

I just happened to do a general search for Chopperdrop 3000 to see if google was picking up the new site, and I came across this:

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/forum/v ... 26#p273186
and
http://themrcerebro.com/1_11_About.html

This page seems to state that TheMrCerebro has taken my program and rewritten it, and added sound!!!!
Now I can tell that the screen shots are indeed different from my version as the splash page has my name 'Nama' (meaning 'Raw' in Japanese) spelt 'Nana'. Now I find this totally mind boggling that someone would do this. Unfortunately I was not able to find anywhere to download this rewritten version, but I'd very much like to see it.

I'm not sure if I should be shocked, or honoured...maybe I'm a bit of both.
Does anyone know where I can download it?

Phil
bobs

Re: Chooperdrop 3000...I'm confused!!!!

Post by bobs »

This sort of thing has happened to me in the past - from blantant re-badging, selling of t-shirts & mugs based on the artwork/sprites, to full current-gen conversions (as this appears to be) without any thought of contacting or crediting me. (and I think I'm pretty contactable with a website, facebook page, and well-known presence on various forums)

It is commendable however that you are still mentioned (although incorrectly) in the game, that he does honour it as a conversion/update of an existing title (and not purely his own work) and that the site itself doesn't appear to be trying to profit from it (i.e. no banner adverts or download fee).

I'd contact the person involved and mention that the game is yours, and that although being honoured by the conversion that you would have preferred to be asked as the game isn't in anyway "Abandonware".
nama

Re: Chooperdrop 3000...I'm confused!!!!

Post by nama »

I emailed TheMrCerebro, and he was kind enough to fix the link on his web page, and I was able to download it and play it. The game actually turned out to be a Windows version of my game, while retaining the original graphics, which I think is totally novel.

The major difference is that the elements (Helicopter, tanks, flying saucers, bullets and bombs) all move super smoothly, as you would expect on a modern PC….Oh, and there is sound too.

The biggest problem I have (apart from misspelling my name) is that it's extremely difficult, which is saying something coming from the the guy who designed the original gameplay. The original ZX81 game was a little tricky and needed the player to think in the future to anticipate the enemies, but this game takes the skill level to a completely different level. I have yet to kill more than 4 tanks before dying, where as in my original I could get through to about level 4 (about 25+ tanks) before biting the bullet.

What I may do is throw some suggestions his way in the hopes that he can fix a couple of issues I have with his port. Otherwise, I'm actually quite honoured that he has gone to such efforts to mimic the original and try to improve on it.

Phil