"New" Game - ZONKEY KONG! by DnD

General games-related topics
BarryN

Re: "New" Game - ZONKEY KONG! by DnD

Post by BarryN »

Spinnetti wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:59 am Ok, totally redid the key handling, saved 53 bytes of object code, and controls feel "smoother" (at least to me). Give it a test for me please? - Try your favorite key combos and your zxpand joystick - hopefully I didn't break that! If it all works, I'll update the first post with the latest code. Thanks!

Cheers,

D.
Ok, I have now tested on real hardware as well as SZ81. I can confirm that the ZXPand joystick interface still works and that on real hardware QAOP now works for keys. I have not tested other key combinations yet.
Spinnetti

Post by Spinnetti »

Great, thanks! First posted updated with the latest code - no functional changes, just various internal code cleanup and edge case bug fixes.
Zeddy: ZX80, ZX81/ZXpand, TS1000/ZXpand, TS1500/Zxpand+
Speccy: 48k, +, +2, +3, TS2068, "Bare Metal" Pi, Next KS2, IF1/Microdrives/Vdrive/Light Gun/VGA-Joy
QL: Minerva/QL-VGA/Custom PSU
C5: 24v, LiFE battery, Disc brakes
TMD2003

Post by TMD2003 »

Hey! Great news! The Dacia Sandero...

...I mean... if you didn't see it on the CSSCGC thread, I've updated the RZX page to include entries from March and April. Hence, Zonkey Kong now shows a complete playthrough of its four stages.

However, as the slightly-broken initial-release version is the one I reviewed, the slightly-broken initial-release version is the one I've RZXed. It shouldn't be visually different to the final version, should it? I can always add the later un-broken version if necessary.

Any RZX-capable Spectrum emulator will run the RZX - yes, I said Spectrum emulator, because I have to run ZX81 games using Paul Farrow's Interface 2 ZX81 emulation ROM cartridge to be able to make the recording in the first place. It works fine on Fuse, and that's really all you need to know. It crashes on EightyOne, which presumably can't handle the external ROM.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Spinnetti

Post by Spinnetti »

Final version has just some minor tweaks to gameplay and a few visuals, but you'd be hard pressed to notice - better to use the latest code though of course.. I'll have to look up RZX - dunno what that is!

Cheers..
Speccy: 48k, +, +2, +3, TS2068, "Bare Metal" Pi, Next KS2, IF1/Microdrives/Vdrive/Light Gun/VGA-Joy
Spinnetti

Post by Spinnetti »

Hi All. I was playing Zonkey on real hardware, and on the TS1000 it felt a little slow (60hz vs 50hz refresh difference) so I sped the base speed up a little bit. No game play changes, just a tiny bit faster game play. Since its so minor, I didn't revision it.
Attachments
Zonkey Kong 1.1 20210502a.7z
(4.11 KiB) Downloaded 125 times