Compiling the EIghtone emulator

Emulator and emulator development specific topics
whaletales

Compiling the EIghtone emulator

Post by whaletales »

I host the Eightone mirror at http://www.aptanet.org/eightyone/ and since the main site seems to be offline at the moment I've had someone asking about the toolset for compiling Eightone from source. I coudn't see any obvious details from a quick scan of the source and I've not tried myself, but it seemed an interesting question so after a bit of searching i noted this forum which appeared to have some experience in this area. Can anyone provide a list of tools, libraries, versions, etc. that they use?

Thanks, and 'hi' by the way :) I started my computer life with a ZX81, and still have a couple, along with a few Spectrums, a QL and a Z88, along with a whole selection of other platforms from the same era.
sirmorris

Re: Compiling the EIghtone emulator

Post by sirmorris »

Hi Paul!

Welcome aboard :) And thanks for keeping the EO site up!

EO is a beast to compile, relying on Borland C++ builder 5, and a number of commercial components. It's not one for the inexperienced or unwary. The only reason I'm able to compile it today is that Mike helped me set up a build environment. Without his expert guidance EO would be dead today.

As for finding out what components are used, well this would take some digging. I'll try to find out as much as I can.

Regards

C
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Who was is who said that stories of my death have been greatly exagerated?

Suffice to say, despite being seriously ill over the past year or so, I'm still here :)

EO is compiled with a rather old and clunky version of Borland C++Builder. I wouldn't stand a chance of setting up a development environment on a modern operating system - So it's a good job I migrated the entire build system to a virtual machine years ago. I have no idea how the copy I have compared to what you guys are using these days but I'll take a look...

Mike
REX LIES IN WAIT
XavSnap

Post by XavSnap »

Hi Mike !
Nice to read you.
Thanks...
Xavier ...on the Facebook groupe : "Zx81 France"(fr)
Andy Rea

Post by Andy Rea »

:o can it be true....

Welcome to our forums Mike, sorry to hear about your illness, might i like i suspect everyone else would like to do is thank you for an absolutly cracking piece of software, without which *some* of us might not have made it back to the Zeddy scene after all these years.

Regards Andy
what's that Smell.... smells like fresh flux and solder fumes...
sirmorris

Post by sirmorris »

Mark Twain.

Welcome back, Mike!
Paul

Post by Paul »

Andy Rea wrote::o can it be true....

Welcome to our forums Mike, sorry to hear about your illness, might i like i suspect everyone else would like to do is thank you for an absolutly cracking piece of software, without which *some* of us might not have made it back to the Zeddy scene after all these years.

Regards Andy
I can't say this any better!

Thank you so much Mike, and all the best for your health.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
yerzmyey

Post by yerzmyey »

Hello & welcome, Whaletales and Mike. :D
IN NIHILUM REVERTERIS - a big text-adventure game for ZX81: http://tiny.pl/g2m6m
"MONOCHROME" issue 5 - (Spring 2014) free paper/PDF magazine about ZX81: http://tiny.pl/q2m44
ZX81 COMPETITIONS 2007/2009: http://zx81.republika.pl/
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

Thanks guys.

After moving house several times ofer the past few years, I've finally got somewhere permanent set up where I can play...

I've taken over the loft (The wife calls it my ManCave), http://www.chuntey.com/pic/IMG_0154.JPG where I can get thing done, so hopefully I'll have plenty of time/space to do some ZX-stuff...

Mike
REX LIES IN WAIT
Moggy

Post by Moggy »

Great to hear from You again Mike and glad You're feeling better. :D
Can I add my own thanks for Eighty one and its memory block loader and wav file saver, without which My Spectrum Eprom programmer would grind to a shuddering halt!

Best Regards.

Moggy.